Planting Blueberries

NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 949
I'm just about to plant three Blueberries into pots. Do I gradually go up in size of pots or can they go into the larger pot the pots they came in are approx 3 inch. We are on dark grey clay so I don't want then in the soil also I have built a fruit cage with paving slabs to stand all the tubs containing all my other fruit.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,637
    I planted mine a few years ago into pots about 10 ins wide and a foot deep. Two or three years later I planted them into pots a foot wide and 2 feet deep. They are in ericaceous compost and I only use rain water for watering them.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,604
    Best to gradually increase the pot size as required.
    I'm putting mine a a fruit cage this year - they are too good good for the birds!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 949
    Busy-Lizzie and Pete.8 I have ericaceous so they will be OK in that I also have some 6 & 8 inch pots so will start them of in those. I agree Pete.8 far, far to good for the birds come to that so is all the fruit, if I grow it's mine they can grow their own lol. Thanks both.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 744
    Just moved one I’ve had a year in a pot and two new from 3” square pots into a hessian planter.  Ericaceous, grit, a touch of leaf mould and some garden compost.

I felt the planter was too deep though, so quite a bit of overlap.  Garlic in there too.

Tin pot, They look about the same size as mine. Was going to plant them up this afternoon but weeding and digging took over. I'd never have though to plant garlic in with fruit, good idea. Thanks for picture.
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 188
    Better to plant up every year, first year 5 liters, 2nd year 10-15 liters, third year 25l then 50-60l. Will give you a better formed rootball.

They reach full size at around 5 years old by which time they can do with an 80l pot but I've not gone up to 80l yet... 60 works. I figure better to buy another plant than spend £20 on such a big pot and compost.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,437
    I’m thinking I’ll try to propagate my own replacements from cuttings or layering when they’re heading towards outgrowing what containers I can provide. 😊   
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

mrtjforman I've put them in 5 Ltr pot and they are doing well. I do check to see if any roots are coming through and that's when I pot on. I do have 1, 50 ltr pot but want that for something else. I agree £20 is not well spent when a new plant costs less than that, I think I paid £14 or £15 for three and they might bring out a new variety in two or three years time.

Dovefromabove I was thinking I might take cuttings in a couple of years once these have got their feet down well but wasn't sure if you could and was going to ask on here about it. You saved me posting a question on here late. Thanks both for the advice.