Rootgrow

Good morning, I planted 40 large football Portuguese laurel bushes to make a hedge back in October and at the time I added some rootgrow mycorrhizal fungus granules to the holes I was planting in. I was in a rush as I had to plant all in one day as we were going away the next day. The bucket of granules came with an additional sachet of white sugar-like grains but in my haste I didn’t use them and now I don’t know what they are for! Can anyone tell me? I was wondering if they were to make a dipping gel with? I’m planting some bare root box hedging soon, so I thought I could maybe use the stuff then. Thanks!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,407
    I think they are for a dipping gel @joe.shimmin
  • joe.shimminjoe.shimmin Posts: 34
    Thanks
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 487
    Yes anniD is right you mix it with the granules for bare root plants but if you have your plants in a bucket of water and sprinkle the granules onto the wet roots I find that they stick and you arent left with a bucket of gel you cant use. It's expensive stuff and the jury is out on wether it's a really necessary product.
    I have used it in several gardens in the last few years and everything grows well but then I have had the same results in my other houses over the last 45 years without it.  I think good soil preparation is much more important.

• joe.shimminjoe.shimmin Posts: 34
    Thank you for your advice and explanation!