Creeping Phlox plugs

BloodyNoraBloodyNora Posts: 54
Newbie to the forums!  Last Oct I bought some Phlox plugs which I kept indoors and about 2/3 survived. Is this the right time to plant them out? Some of the plants are starting to go brown.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,600
    How big are they?  
    If theve not grown much over the winter I’d probably pot them on a size and start to harden them off gently.

I wouldn’t plant them out straight away after they’ve been inside all winter. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BloodyNoraBloodyNora Posts: 54
    Thank you. They are about 3 inches so still quite small I guess. When is the ideal time to plant them out after hardening?
    Just wondering what people think about these? Are these still too small to plant out? They will go into a sunny spot with clay soil.

• BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 742
    How much were those 
    Think about £6 for 10 plugs -about 7 survived thus far. Some looking quite poorly
  • BirminghamMarc1972BirminghamMarc1972 Birmingham Posts: 742
    I have always bought my plants from homebase or the garden centre but this year I bought some plugs and failed miserably with quite a few even though I did what I thought was right. I shan't bother going down the plug root again 😊 some golden rod I've had have hardly moved some died and lavender was a wipe out for some. 
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    What are the roots like?
    Have they filled the pot yet?
    Have a look and see if there are roots through the holes underneath.
    Or gently tip one out so you can see.

They are generally quite tough little plants, we are on clay and I did improve it with some homemade compost and a bit of grit to kick start ours. Sorry it was a slightly larger plant that filled the pot, like your largest pot there and not a plug.

The left one looks like it is in fresher compost?

It won't hurt them if you trim some little bits off like the dead bits and also cut back the longer bits. I know they are tiny but it will help them bush out.

I also would consider carefully refreshing the compost and adding some grit if you can. Don't pot bigger but tickle and refresh, I can't help but think a more gritty compost would help them along.
    Good luck.
    Ruby- like the "tickle and refresh"!! they have been in the same compost since Oct when I planted the plugs. Just checked and all have roots coming out of the bottom! Does that mean they need planting out?