Forum home Plants

Summer flowering scented clematis

13»

• Thanks for the update, Bob the Gardener, what a super job you have done. The exciting bit is just round the corner, each of your seedlings will be a new form of clematis never seen before, ( except for species ispahanica ), get the camera ready, we want to see some pictures.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,415
    I'm really excited to see how they turn out, so the camera will always at the ready (let me know if you would like any close-ups of them at this stage.)  I'm particularly excited to see how the Crispa 11 hybrids turn out - there seems a fair bit of variation in the leaves and growth rates on those.  They are all in 2l 'rose' pots at the moment.  Would you recommend re-potting into (say) 6.5 litre tall square pots or are they best left in these for a while?  Roots are evident at the bottom of most of them, particularly those who's mother was Abundance which are trying to root into the shingle.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I leave mine in the 2 litre deep pots for a couple of years, by which time they have usually flowered, then I sort out the best and plant them out to trial, the others I keep and in the past I have taken cuttings from some of the viticellas and used them as rootstock for grafting.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,415
    Excellent, thanks Richard.  I'll leave them be and will try to encourage them to flower as early as possible to see if any are of particular note.  They'll all probably find a place somwhere though, knowing me. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.