Forum home Plants

Summer flowering scented clematis

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,443
    That looks good Richard.  What about Crispa?  I'm growing that one here for the first time. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,585
    I have Betty Corning, I love it and I love the scent. I went to see an NGS garden in Suffolk a few years ago and there was a lovely scent, I realised it came from Betty Corning growing over a shed. Took me a year to find one for sale though.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I have lots of different forms of clematis crispa, and crispa hybrids, superb garden plants. They originate from Florida where they are known as swamp leather flower, which tells me that they like to keep their feet wet. If not, they tend to develop powdery mildew. Betty Corning, I have, is a cross between viticella and crispa.  My old nose does not detect a huge amount of scent in any of the crispas.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 27,306
    Hiya @Richard Hodson. Welcome back. You've been missed. 
    I hope you and your family are all well.
    I've just googled C.flammula, I love it.
    Devon.
  • x triternata rubromarginata has a wonderful scent, flammula crossed with viticella and has a much better rootstock than species flammula, also I have x triternata Tranquility, another perfumed form by the legendary Barry Fretwell
  • Thanks for message, Hostafan 1, yes, all fit and well here, hope everyone on this site is, too.   Lots to look forward to.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,897
    Hi @Richard Hodson , I just noticed yesterday that my C.Mandschurica is sprouting, can't wait to see it in flower this year, it struggled a bit last year despite lots of water.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 24,443
    edited March 2019
    Ooooh!  Just looked that one up.  I love aniseed.

Thanks for the info about crispa and moisture Richard.   Mine will have to lurk in its pot a while longer while I make a suitable home for it as it can get a tad dry here.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,585

Bother, I think it's probably too dry for Crispa in SW France.

Glad you are well Richard. We always get such great advice from you.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,425
    Good morning @Richard Hodson , I thought you'd like to see how some of the clematis from the seed you kindly sent are getting on.  These germinated last spring or earlier and include several 'Abundance' (larger plants, back left), about 7 'Crispa 11' (front left, and any unlabelled pots), a couple of 'John Treasure' (back right) and several integrifolia (rosea and blue.)  I also have several 'Ispahanica' which gerninated immediately and grew quickly so those are already planted out.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.