Summer flowering scented clematis

guttiesgutties N. IrelandPosts: 207
I have a couple of spring flowering clematis (such as Mayleen).
What would your suggestion be for a summer flowering scented clematis as I'd like to get one or two?

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,581
    ...consider Clematis flammula… it's scented of almonds and puts on a great late summer show..
  • guttiesgutties N. IrelandPosts: 207
    Thanks @Marlorena. Unfortunately, I see it's out of stock with Taylor's.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,170
    Teeny flowers on a flammula.  Great for perfume but not looks IMHO.

Have a look at Betty Corning - a good, strong viticella with bell shaped flowers tipped with lilac/purple and a gentle perfume.  Jan Fopma is a small integrifolia with neat,  purply scented flowers but if you want something more exhuberant have a look at Lambton Park which is a scented form of tangutika.

I have grown all of the above and have the two latter ones for this new, to me, garden.  Still looking for a Betty Corning but won't be bothering with flammula.

This site is a useful source of info on scented clems - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemlist.cfm  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    ..have to disagree with that... flammula is a wonderfully scented clematis, it doesn't matter the flowers are small as they are produced in such a mass of bloom all over the vigorous plant..

Lambton Park on the other hand... have you ever grown it?... I couldn't detect any scent and it would swamp anyone's house in a couple of years.... I couldn't wait to get shot of it I'm afraid... the seedheads were quite startling..
    If you read again you will see that yes, I have and am growing Lambton Park.

I grew this clematis on my last garden but it proved unequal to severe Belgian winters tho in a milder garden it would be far better in both colour and perfume than flammula - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=540 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    edited 30 March
    Well, if you say so, not worth arguing about Obelixx…    up to the member what they want to do...

'Lambton Park'... apparently it's scented.. [news to me]..

Well, apart from the almond scented ones I find all perfumed clematis to be subtle.
  • guttiesgutties N. IrelandPosts: 207
    edited 30 March
    Thanks for the comments both.
    I do like the look of Rubromarginata, but I'm in NI and I see the postage is £24 on the Thorncroft site.
    That's a pity, as I'll not be buying a clematis that costs me £40!

Thorncroft are not the only clematis growers and sellers.

Try Hawthorne, Taylors or maybe this nursery which has Betty Corning - https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/clematis-viticella-betty-corning/clematis_vit_betty 
  • This is clematis mandshurica growing through a pimpinellifoila rose in our gardem