Shumach tree

Dear all,
I have a young Shumach tree, approx 4-5ft tall in a north facing garden that gets some direct light at either end of the day, on reasonable soil, which I improve annually with top layering of compost and feed, but the garden covers chalk seams below. The tree is surrounded by ferns that fill out in August, so nothing to compete with for light or nutrients, but it can be windy. My concern is at this late stage of March it has only tiny buds at the ends of its branches, and I can't see any evidence of it growing this year - I read it is supposed to be bullet proof and grows at least 12"-24" a year. (North Lincolnshire) How many years does it take to see those fruit / flower cones, please? Does anyone know which month it begins to show leaf / new branch growth, please?
Thank you!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,788
    Most sumachs haven't read the books.   I had one, a dissecta form, taken as a sucker from its mum who grew on the north side of a house.  Mine never got above 5' high in 23 years but did spread sideways.  It was in full sun and fertile soil and had plenty of rainfall so maybe it din't feel the need to grow upwards.

If yours is in shade it's not surprising it only has small buds.  Wait till there's more light and it will burst forth.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks Obelixx

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 876
    Mine only have small buds. They are always late to the party. A word of warning though. These shrubs can cause havoc with their rhizomes which kick into life if you ever decide to terminate the main tree. I’ve been trying to manage the population we have since we moved in 5 years ago and my attempts to reduce their numbers had a dramatic opposite effect.

In my (very humble) opinion these should never be planted in the ground. If you ever drive around the Paris orbital motorway you will see why! In saying that they do produce some nice colour. 
  • Thank you!