Forum home Problem solving

I’m planting a Rowan

Hi, I was gifted a Rowan (a must for Rowan&Holly Cottage) and being aware of the size it can reach I’d like to know exactly how close to the house I can plant it? I’ve got overhead power/phone cables to avoid on the roadside so that’s a no go and a patio area I don’t want to shade so closer to the house is best but how close can I safely go? The research I did only came up with vague guidelines. Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,493
    The guidelines usually say no further to a building than the predicted height of the tree, but we've got one less than 1 metre from our newish garage. As I know the foundations are at least a metre thick concrete, I'm not too bothered and it hasn't grown a lot in the last 5 years. I believe the rowan's height is likely to be 16-22 feet so perhaps half way down your garden?  Do you need to block any neighbouring buildings?
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671
    I have one it's in half a 45 gallon with holes drilled in bottom been in there for five years. Every February I take away the top six inches of soil feed and top up with compost it flowers great and lovely berries it's an about 15/18 feet tall now.
  • Lizzie it depends on root space I gather n I don’t think Rowan are too root greedy n probably better sheltered close to the house for the winds we get in the Highlands. Sorry Andy I can’t bear the thought of our or any tree stuck in a pot.. no offence and must add I have a wee conifer in a pot needing rehoming soon x
  • It maybe going beside old croft part of house, founds not an issue they are well sorted being Highlands lol. More opinions wanted before position selected but thank you so much Lizzie and Andie 🙂
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,109
    Is it a named variety of Rowan [Sorbus]?..  if so what is the variety called please..?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    I wouldn't worry about it Lorna. They won;t get so big that the roots would be a problem. 
    They can withstand any weather and conditions without much trouble. If you don't want it to be too exposed to the wind, you might want to plant some other native hedging or similar,  to create a natural windbreak for it. It would depend on the space you have, of course.  :)
    The only issue is with insurance - they always ask if there's any trees within 30 feet of a house.  ;)

I'm assuming it's our native Sorbus - aucuparia - that Lorna has.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• It was from the forestry commission so can’t say it’s a particular variety lol just natural to our area, they often do thinning out and sometime have too much new grows so worth contacting them if you are ever looking for something.