Grape hyacinths

josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,399
Is there anything worth doing with clumps of muscari that have reached the flowerless floppy grass stage?  Will they ever be worth looking at again, or are they best dug out and consigned to the garden waste bag?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,236
    I would dig them out. They look very tatty with floppy limp leaves. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,037
    I only grow them in pots now, josusa47.  They are removed from borders immediately after the flowers fade but there are still rather too many as they keep coming back.  I agree, an untidy mess from autumn through spring apart from the couple of weeks of flowers.  I've had three 10" pots of them under the Japanese plum for at least 7 years and have never fed or watered them, but valiantly they soldier on..
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,689
    Do you mean they've finished flowering for this year or they've stopped flowering at all?
    Either way, I would dig them out as the others suggest - they will come back next year anyway!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,113
    Mine have only just started to flower. They do keep popping up everywhere,  I just cut back the leaves and leave them as I do quite like the flowers.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,399

Sorry everyone, mistaken identity!  Thanks for all your helpful advice, but they weren't muscari.  When I grabbed them to dig them out, they gave off the unmistakeable smell of garlic chives.  Now I think I'll plant them in a big pot so I can use them in the kitchen.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690
    My chives are in bud now. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.