Battery strimmer

Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
I'm looking to purchase a battery strimmer to use at the allotment, I've been looking around but would like any feedback you might have.
Do you own one is it any good whats the battery life like, can you get bit's easily etc etc, its only to use on grass maybe new growth of stinging nettles 2 or 3 inches tall, nothing bigger.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog

• NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 961
    We have a Ryobi lawn mower and strimmer ours came with a battery and we also have other Ryobi tools so they came with batteries. We tend to have two are the ready and I can just about do the back and front gardens on one large battery. (the Ryobi batteries come in to sizes) We've had ours two years and they are still going, it should come with a battery charger which is quick to charge and easy two use. Both our lawns were more than 4 inches high and I strimmed them down the other day with no problem apart from a back ache.Hope this is of some help but I can only say for the Ryobi.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,500
    I've got a Makita one - like Dee that's mostly because we have several cordless Makita tools and we can share the batteries - they are the expensive bit. I really like mine - much lighter than the petrol ones and does a good job. The battery lasts about an hour before it needs charging. I did have a Bosch one but I barely got 10 minutes out of that before the battery died.
    It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • We have the Black & Decker 36V battery mower, strimmer and hedge trimmer and they all seem to work pretty well and give a decent amount of time on charge.

The strimmer happily deals with grass, general weeds and our (abundant) nettles.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,181
    I’m a convert to Ego, I have the multi-tool with brush cutter, strimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer and lawn edger. The batteries are the longest lasting and hold their charge even if not used for weeks. Heavier than some though, so a harness is essential.