Forum home Problem solving

Grape hyacinths in lawn

SharonY 2SharonY 2 Posts: 11
edited March 2019 in Problem solving
Hi all I’ve got what I believe are grape hyacinths growing through my lawn. I could see the bees seemed to like them so I’ve been steering my lawnmower round them 🤦‍♀️ Any ideas how I can have a neat trimmed lawn and keep them or how best to avoid a tufty lawn next Spring?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,877
    The leaves will die down soon and you can just mow right over them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SharonY 2SharonY 2 Posts: 11
    Ok thank you. I might see if I can dig the bulbs out and relocate them :)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,877
    You can do that, keep the green on them. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

edited March 2019
    Thank you thank you for your help Lyn :smile:
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    edited March 2019
    You may well regret your decision to relocate your Muscari bulbs , as they can soon become a pernicious weed .
    Personally I'd mow them in until they no longer re-appear .
    Last year I spent many hours clearing (or so I thought) literally hundreds of these from a border , painstakingly digging out the bulbs .
    Guess what , this year it's just the same again !!!
    Ok I will have a think. I may just let them do their flowering first :neutral: Thank you
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,964
    Another option if they're planted in a border is to cut off all flower heads before they set seed ; thus preventing infestation .
    A shame indeed that they are so invasive ; their intense blue shades contrast well with the yellow of good-old Daffodils ! :)
  • I have Grape Hyacinths in my lawn which I mow around until the leaves have died back then just mow as normal. They've been there for several years and not spread much.

I did have about five clumps in a flower bed which I dug out last year from the lawn. I have relocated them down the bottom of my garden under a Whitebeam tree which has snowdrops, violets and bluebells growing underneath and not much else will grow there so the Grape Hyacinths look quite pretty there.