Peas ... Douce de Provence 🤷‍♀️

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,488
edited 29 March in Fruit & veg
Does anyone grow Douce de Provence peas?  

If so perhaps you can enlighten me ...

the blurb on the pack says

‘... grows to 2 ft without the need for support ...’.  

‘Great ... that makes life easier’ thought I.  

However, today, as I sowed them I read another bit of blurb on the same side of the pack that says

‘ ...As the peas start to grow support them with netting of pea sticks. The plants will reach up to a height of 120cm 48 inches ...’.    🙄 
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,435
    I have grown them in the past Dove, and if memory serves me right,  they did need some support.  I think l fell for the original USP the same as you.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    I’m growing for first time this year.. I’ve put in some small pea sticks so the base has support, thinking the same as you- that they wouldn’t need any! Will have to see!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,488
    I’ve discovered that there’s a chap not too far from @WonkyWomble who manages some woodlands and who sells proper beanpoles and faggots of pea sticks. I may well be paying him a visit before very long ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Well ... I didn’t get the peasticks ... I used some canes and string ... but tbh I hardly needed to ... they didn’t grow very tall ... but they are cropping really well ... we’ve picked several meals-worth this week... they are delicious sweet and tender peas and almost every pod is packed full ... I’ll certainly grow these again 

• My Douce de Provence did really well - sown last October and under cover until late February. I had to use chicken wire to protect them from the pigeons which gave them support but made it difficult to pick them. I had a few weeks of picking enough for a meal then pulled the lot up (as seen in these pics ).
    They’re a really good pea aren’t they @richardtester63 😊 
    Id not grown peas for several years, and bought these on a whim ... glad I did 👍