Forum home Problem solving

How to stop mice eating crocus bulbs?

I split 200 crocus bulbs and something's now attacking them, suspect it might be mice. Any ideas how to put them off? The location makes it difficult to put a physical barrier in place.

I've read they don't like spiky holly leaves so I've trimmed our tree and spread branches around. I also read (erroneously?) that they don't like human urine so I thought I'd give that a go too  :D Apparently they're not fond of fish blood and bone so figured it'd do no harm to sprinkle some of that around.

Are any of these likely to be winners? Should I be doing something else instead? I was really looking forward to next year's display of crocuses but at this rate the mice will obliterate them within a week!  :'( 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,990
    Almost impossible we found, except for the C.thommasiniana which propagated itself faster than the mice could eat them. Only ones to survive for us were the ones planted in gravel which the mice could not dig through to get at the corms.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531
    I'm glad you have received a sensible answer, because now I feel at liberty to say, pull their teeth out.