Lawn tractor

have recently started using Lawnflite lawn tractor. Battery completely dead.  Jump started machine.  Used successfully for approx 1 hr.  Battery still totally flat.  Battery is six years old.  Is it the battery or another problem.  Any ideas.  Thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,428
    Possibly the alternator isn’t charging the battery up?

Does the battery need topping up with distilled water?

It may be that the battery is worn out and wont hold a charge in Shichi vas’s it’ll need replacing. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephillsteephill Posts: 832
    I replaced my car battery after 15 years but the general  concensus is that the replacement will probably only last 5 years. A friendly car mechanic with a battery tester would be able to tell you about the state of your battery but at 6 years old I would be prepared to replace it.
  • Sue73Sue73 Posts: 6
    Thanks for your help. Will post the outcome
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,636
    I use cheap car batteries for an electric fence, they only last 2 - 4 years.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    If you have a voltmeter/multimeter, check the (DC) voltage across the battery when the engine is running - watch out for moving parts as you do this! It should be about 14V or better. If it isn't then the alternator isn't charging it. Google will tell all :)
  • Sue73Sue73 Posts: 6
    thanks -will do.