Homeless Hedgehogs

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,783
Hi all, planning to clear an area at the bottom of my garden which is very overgrown over the weekend. Son has pointed out that he is pretty sure there are hedgehogs 🦔 either resident or passing through. He says he often hears them around 2am, he is a student therefore nocturnal. This is obviously very worrying as I really don’t want to disturb or upset them in any way so any advice gratefully received. I do need to clear the area as this is a rented property and landlords don’t want it all overgrown. Please help. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,943
    I'd leave it and hope your landlord loves the wee spikeys as much as we do. If he/she/they complain, you can always tidy it up then?
    Devon.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,783
    The problem is there used to be a pond before we moved in and we have a real issue with a very invasive grass. We have cleared it from the rest of the garden but it spreads and is now re infesting cleared areas. The landlord wants it all removed or will get in a contractor to do so and charge us. Obviously I need to clear the mess with the least possible disturbance if there are hogs in situ. I am happy to buy a house or provide a safe area but not sure how to go about it the best way. Any advice?? 
    Can't you explain the hedgehog living there? but promise to clear it all before you move out?
    Devon.
    But then the hogs will be homeless when we move? If I can get them settled into a new area that would be perfect. I can leave some of the overgrown part alone if necessary but what is the best way to gently persuade them to move and what’s the best time? Hogs happiness and safety are obviously my priority now. If I clear half will they move into the other bit? If I buy a house will they move into it? 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,336
    Would it be possible to go carefully and dig out the clips of invasive stuff by hand, rather than using a strimmer or other machinery? That way the hogs will at least have a chance to get out of the way. And if you come across piles of dead leaves that look like hog nests you could maybe work around them. Hopefully the landlord will cut you some slack if they can see that you've made a start.
    Oh definitely no strimmers I loathe them after I killed a frog totally by accident 5 years ago. It will be dug by hand by hubby and son. If I buy and set up a house and move very slowly just doing a few feet at a time would that work? If I disturb a nest what’s the best thing to do? 
    I might well be wrong, ( often the case ) but I think they move about more than you might think and only bed down when they hibernate.
    Devon.
    Oh I do hope so. I will definitely be buying a house and setting it up and will warn my menfolk to stop immediately at any sign of a 🦔 
    i will also make sure any access holes remain clear and make sure I put down fresh water. Are feeding stations a good idea? Really want to do my bit to help the hedgehog 🦔 
    "mine" re-appeared this week and I put food ( chicken cat food ) out every night now. 
    Last night Spikey was there around 8 , then an hour later there was a smaller wee Spikey looking around.
    Devon.
    Lucky you! I live in a very urban area and didn’t think there were any hogs around but son is pretty sure he heard them in the early hours. There are lots of cats around here including my 2 lazy tomcats so food would have to be pretty well hidden! Do you have a feeding station?