Jacqueline

Chrissy70Chrissy70 Edinburgh Posts: 9
Hi I am new to this site but I am also new to gardening I am normally happy just to cut the grass. 

I have decided a bit of my garden needs attention as its like a triangle I have decided 2 use sleepers and bark or gravel and raise it up from front to back but I'd like flowers ( please don't ask what type as right now all I own is dandelions) but how can I grow flowers when I need 2 put weed membrane so cut access 2 soil is it best if I use plants in pots if so any advice appreciated

Going through a divorce so gardening has been my savior

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,468
    My advice is not to use membrane if you want to grow flowers. It is OK under a stone dressing for paths.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Chrissy70Chrissy70 Edinburgh Posts: 9
    Sharp reply thank you.. The area is full of weeds will I have 2 kill all them 1st I just want to look out my window 2 something pretty the area looks neglected 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 489
    edited 27 March
    You will have to dig over the area anyway to incorporate extra soil so take out the weeds as you go any any large stones or rubbish. Just do a small section at a time if you aren't used to digging.
    Try to get out the weeds before they set seed.
    You can't plant into a weed filled bed your plants won't flourish and you will have wasted time, effort and money.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,445
    Don't forget to take into account the bed's position. Does it get a lot of sun, all day, part of the day ? That will help you to choose the plants when the time comes. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions - gardening has been a saviour for many on here.  :)
    The area in question is a very shady area due to hedge I will pop photos on and any ideas are more than welcome it was fenced off untill yesterday  but as I am preparing 2 scarify the bigger area next month I felt it was time 2 open it up and make the most of it but cost effective 

The area I want to put sleepers in and raise up slightly is where the child's slide is

Mammoth task I know but I am a determined woman so maybe take a while but I will get there
    As you will see there is lots of black appearing on My grass (hopefully by next year I can say lawn) I have treated it with moss killer and intend to give it a good scarify next month I have did this before but thats all I ever did 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,538
    You will get there   :)
    Take a bit of time to work out exactly what you want from the area though, and make sure you prep the ground well before planting. That will pay dividends, in the health of any plants you put in. 
    A membrane can be a real issue if you decide to change planting in any way, so it's easier to mulch well after planting to keep weeds at bay. It also sets off the planting, and therefore makes a nice feature for you when looking from the house.

A determined woman can go a long way  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....