Nothing remotely to do with gardening but about eggs.

B3B3 Posts: 10,225
This is about those very brown free range organic eggs that you can get in most supermarkets.
I cracked one open the other day and it was weird inside. Mr Google reckons it's a bacterial or fungal infection. I accept that this kind of thing is more likely to happen if you're producing organic eggs so I'm not going to make a complaint.
Anyway, my question is: would the rest of the eggs be infected through the shell? If the flock has been infected, how long would it have taken them to sort it out? I like their eggs, but I don't want to come across another psychedelic egg.
 I'm inclined to chuck them anyway as I've sort of gone off eggs for now.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,600
    An egg with a tiny crack or hole in it could get infected. Chances are , all the others in the box came from different hens and will be fine. Crack them into a cup first before mixing if you are worried.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,225
    Thanks @fidgetbones . Was the chicken diseased or just the egg?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,600
    An egg with a crack in it can easily get infected in transport and storage before you get it.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nultyphilip224nultyphilip224 Ireland,..The Midlands.Posts: 923
    I have had about 40 Free Range Hens and Ducks and a few Cockerels amongst them in order to have Fertile Eggs so when Hens got broody they could sit on a batch of eggs that would produce Chicks,..there is a possibility you got an egg that was Fertile,..not pleasant to see when you crack open a shell as it tends to be bloody or other colours thrown in,..the egg could also be damaged in transit from Farm to Supermarket,..if the shell is cracked or even has a hole plus the membrane damaged then anything can get through.

• B3B3 Posts: 10,225
    Thanks both of you. I'm glad it sounds like a damaged shell.
    It wasn't so much the swirl of blood, but the luminous green blob that worried me.😳