Potatoes

Is it ok to grow my potatoes in these plastic containers. I’ve just been advised it’s not 😪

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,493
    The problem is that the light will get to potatoes that form near the edges of the transparent containers and they'll turn green and be no good.  Can you stand them inside some opaque boxes, or cover the sides with something to keep the light out?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,039
    They also need drainage holes (10mm diameter or larger) drilling in the bottom, if you haven't already done that.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Yes drainage done. If I wrap a dark plastic sheet round the container tomorrow they should still be ok shouldn’t they?
    sorry I’m a novice 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,251
    I'd line the insides with thick cardboard before you fill them both.
    Devon.
    I think they're already planted H, so the black plastic should do the trick.
  • I think they're already planted H, so the black plastic should do the trick.
    Ill do the plastic tomorrow and show you what I’ve done bob. Would you do the carrots too?
    thank you. 
    Yes, roots in general don't like light so I'd do the carrots too.
  • Yes, roots in general don't like light so I'd do the carrots too.
    Cheers pal. 
    How long roughly do carrots take to germinate? It’s been 2 weeks so far and no sign yet. This includes the potatoes. 
    That depends a lot on the weather - I wouldn't expect to see carrot seed outside germinating yet.  I won't be sowing mine until end of April, so if you see nothing by then I would plant more seeds - you can always thin them out if the original seeds come up as well.
    The potato shoots will probably appear at about the same time.  My spuds are going in this weekend.
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 802
    My carrots (judging from my notes) seem to take between 2.5 and 3 weeks to germinate, depending on weather.