N-E Seating area

Hello.

I’m planning to improve a seating area with some potted plants and I was wondering what would be most suitable for my situation. The seating area is facing N-E so it doesn’t get any direct sunlight, but it’s not too dark either. Some sunlight is reflected by the conservatory during late afternoon and evening. I have an acer that seems to be doing quite well there, but nothing else.

Growing in a plastic greenhouse are the following plants I thought (optimistically) I might be able to use:
  • Dicentra Burning Hearts 
  • Athyrium Niponicum Ursula’s Red
  • Geranium Thumbling Hearts
  • Geranium Elke
  • Geranium Rothbury Gem
  • Hosta Cherry Berry
  • Astrantia Moulin Rouge
  • Begonia Splendide Alifra
I attach a little plan of the area.

• B3B3 Posts: 9,783
    My patio is NNE and I can grow most things . The only ones that are unsuitable are things like Californian poppies that need full sun to open up.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,325
    Your list sounds fine except perhaps for the geraniums, they generally need more sun.  
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 584
    Thank you, @B3, that’s reassuring. Is your patio not getting any direct sunlight?

Thank you, @Lizzie27. I might plant the geraniums in the partly shaded borders where they would get more light.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,783
    In mid summer it gets a bit early morning but some bits get none at all. Fuchsias, verbenas, roses, mint, tarragon, oregano sedum, hypericum, calendula , hosta, Jasmine acer  etc etc. I suppose some would do better with more sun but they do ok. It's not shade but lack of direct sun,  if that makes sense.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I know what you mean. My area is in the shade of the bungalow, but it’s still relatively bright.
    I’ve painted the seats in a lighter colour this weekend and I’ve planted the lamprocapnos in a terracotta pot. All the other plants are still very small (apart from the hosta and geranium Elke whom I think I’ve lost completely). Any ideas as to how to make this area friendlier?

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,640
    edited 4 April
    How about 2 rather huge pots either side of the seats, with something upright like Irish Yew or that gold coloured conifer that garden centres often sell? Get as big as you can afford. Then you arrange your smaller pots at the base of them. 

Image result for loliopo holly either side of seat

Could you pull the seat forward and stack up the space behind with plants?
    Standard lollipops in holly or Portuguese laurel etc would work too actually.
    Thank you @WillDB. That would look good, but the seat is under the bedroom window and I’m afraid they would block too much of the light. And the area is probably smaller than it looks in the photo, not enough for two huge pots.
    The photo was just for an idea, the Irish yew or golden cypress are much narrower and you obviously wouldn't plant the middle one!