Ties for roses over a pergola

We have a mature climbing rose climbing up some trellis on the house (it's over 12 feet high).  We have just built a pergola next to it with the plan to train the rose over the pergola.  So the upright training is already in place and we have plenty of rose plant to start training along the top beams.
My question is what is the best method of tying the rose over the top of the pergola.  We are currently thinking about screwing small hooks into the top of the pergola beams and then tying the rose onto them.  The idea being that you can't see any of the mechanics of the tying in when sitting underneath the pergola.
Just wondered if anyone has a good tried and tested method for how to do the training across the pergola beams.
Thanks

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,017
    I tie mine with jute twine almost the same colour as wood, so almost invisible.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,823
    Me too.  Jute twine is strong and almost invisible.  

Whatever you use, don't tie it so tight you strangle the stems.  Leave a bit of room for growth.  If the stems are stiff, bend them gradually over a few weeks or they risk snapping.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KatfishKatfish Posts: 56
    Thanks all.  Have gone with putting little hooks in the tops of the beams then tying the roses with twine to them.  Thanks for the tip about gradually bending them.