Stop smoking!!!

FlinsterFlinster Posts: 607
so after a failed attempt last year it’s time to stop smoking! I know others on this forum have waged war with the stuff so I’m putting it in writing to garner support in my weak moments and maybe encourage others in the same boat!
It’s day one.
Patch on, gum in mouth and at got a million things to do to keep me busy today. Changing my daily routines to minimise triggers. Telling myself I’m amazing every time I manage another 5 minutes. No wine (🤬) and an early night tonight!
Wish me luck and encouraging thoughts please!
Anyone else?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 19,895
    I've never smoked,but I gave up booze 3 years ago and I've never had a drop since.

For me, I think what worked was NOT saying " I'm never having another one" I said
     " I'm going to stop for a bit". The "bit" has just turned out to be longer than I'd imagined.
    Good luck and stick with it. You know it makes sense.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 51,363
    Been there and done it ... 1995 ... haven’t had one since ... I know that just one would be the start of a slippery slope, even now. 
    I know that, like drinkers, I’ll always be ‘a smoker’ but I’m one that doesn’t smoke .... ever. I even hate the smell of them, but sitting in a pub with a pint or outside a cafe in the sunshine with a good strong coffee and I have to be honest ... I do fancy one ... but I’ll never have one ... and it feels so good to know that with absolute certainty. My doctor says in giving up I’ve done more for my health than anything else I could ever do 😇 

And don’t say to yourself or to others “I’m giving up” ... just say “I don’t smoke” ... and make it true ... it’s amazing how much that helps. 

And be warned, if you have even a sneaky one I’ll be able to smell it on your clothes and in your hair ... in the cinema a woman came in and sat down six seats away from me ... I could smell the fag-smoke 🤢 

So good luck... I’m with you 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 19,895
    edited 26 March
    I can smell smoke when a car passes with the window open. 
    That wave of the hand in front of smokers does nothing except, perhaps, make them feel better?
    I've even smelt cigarette smoke when opening christmas cards.
    Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 15,529
    Me too.  Gave up in 1981 and don't miss it at all.

Like Dove I cannot stand the smell of it on clothes, skin, furniture and just think of all the plants and gardening goodies you'll be able to afford with each packet you don't buy.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Oh yes @Hostafan1 ... documents from our now departed IFA used to reek of smoke when we opened them ... he died two years ago, ten years before he could draw his pension ... guess what of ... yes, you guessed it 😢. He was a lovely man ....
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,457
     I do, even though I now have a severely damaged heart.
    Pathetic, maybe, but I just can't stop.
    Good luck.
    My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I
    Got out of bed at all
    The morning rain clouds up my window
    And I can't see at all
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 1,953
    edited 26 March
    I gave up in 1995 too, along with my OH. We both read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Give Up Smoking as we stopped (not afterwards). I'd bought a copy a couple of years before because I knew so many happy ex-smokers who had used it, and wanted it to be handy on the shelf when I hit the moment of readiness. I was a bit embarrassed to be using a self-help type book but it really was very easy to give up, so it worked. If you decide to get it, you don't need to bother with the big books, just the basic slim one will do the job. Enjoy!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 607
    Thanks guys! It’s great to have all these comments reaffirming my actions! I WAS a backy smoker- didn’t like tailor made cigarettes. I know exactly what you mean about a beer garden.. avoiding those for a while!.. and the smell!
    I worked out smoking cost me about 20p per hour...already saved 80p!
    off to buy some manure and a new edging iron... will save the 80p for some plants!! 😂
    Keep a written tally of how much you’re saving ... and alongside it a list of the plants you’re going to buy ... seeing it written down will really help with making it seem real, rather than just a pipe dream (🥴 see what I did there? I’ll get my coat ....)

@punkdoc ... all I can say is I understand, but I wish you didn’t ((hugs)) 😊 

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 939
    I have friend who gave up smoking and put the money in a jar every time she felt like having a cigarette. I think even she was surprised at how quickly it built up.