Cherry Tree

purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,644
My new cherry is just about to break into bloom. I know you need to protect the fruit from birds by netting, but do I need to do anything for the blossoms? It gives a few nights of 2° in the next week will that do any harm? Thanks in advance to all you knowledgeable people.🙂

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,846
    edited 26 March
    Watch out for wood pigeons ... they love blossom buds ... we’ve hung sparkly rattling kitchen foil in our amelanchier as the fat woodies were snapping the branches while eating the buds  😠 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,644
    I do have alot of wood pigeons so good to know @Dovefromabove. I did see house sparrows picking at the new growth on the plum last year so was wondering about protecting it.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,644
    The next week has 2° to possible -1° so do I need to fleece my cherry?
  • mrtjformanmrtjforman Posts: 161
    I have bought myself some reflective bird scare tape this year so it hasn't been in action when the cherries are ripe yet but so far it has scared all pigeons away from my garden. Cherries are hardy trees that can tolerate a bit of frost. Well the frost is over by now. Mini heatwave at the moment. Fingers crossed the bird tape keeps my cherries safe this year. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LH28WK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1