Hedge sparse at base

I have a mixed privet and lonicera hedge, which is very share for the bottom 20-30 cm. It is right beside the lawn, so hard to disguise the bare area. Is there any way to encourage it to bush out at the bottom? 

• Rose121Rose121 Posts: 132
    Sorry, sparse, not share
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,437
    The only way to get a hedge to thicken at the bottom is to cut the top and sides, that will promote growth from the base. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks Lyn. Gave it a good chop this autumn, so hopefully it'll get going again. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,817
    edited 26 March
    And cut it to a ‘batter’ ... that is slope the sides so they’re wider at the bottom than at the top ... sort of ‘A’ shaped ... that way more sunlight reaches the bottom twigs and it’s sunlight that stimulates new shoots.  😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Great. Thanks for the advice!
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,161
    edited 26 March
    And if there are bad spots you can also pop a few little bits in the gaps. Especially the lonicera. There was a discussion just the other day about the way lonicera layers itself.
    Not sure about privet though. Just using the above advice from others will work.

Our lonicera is terrible at the moment I can't talk or take my own advice :D

Edit : Also a little food and watering would help it along after a trim.
    Didn't even think of giving it a feed. Will add that to the list and look into layering!