Black leaf spot on unknown plant

This neglected plant is looking poorly. It’s a bit leggy and has spots on its leaves. I don’t know if it’s evergreen or not as it’s been largely ignored. Any ideas what it is? Will prune it right back if it can be saved from that black stuff. It’s growing next to a lovely berberis darwinii; unaffected.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,064
    Black spots usually indicate some type of fungal infection.  My best guess (and it is a guess) is that the plant is possibly an escallonia ??? 
    If it is, it could have escallonia leaf spot.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=108

A clearer photo of the whole plant may help with identification. 
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 527
    I searched leaf spot on RHS but I’m not convinced it’s escallonia. 
    Clearer pic on the way. :)
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,888
    edited 26 March
    Flagged

Advertising your own business requires permission from Immediate Media whose site this is ... contact details at the foot of the page @agrigembronwyn
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,579
    Might be worth forwarding the images to Agrigem....identification of pesky diseases / pests etc for free! Very good advice, active on social media or can go through website  :)
    parasites
    Devon.
  • It is black spot fungus.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,484
    I would just chop it down to good leaves give it some care and see what happens, the new leaves at the base look ok. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

It doesn’t seem to be affecting the whole plant so I’ll just cut off the diseased bits and shape it up. It’s on the front garden and I don’t like front gardening! Some of the plants are so nice, like the beberis darwinii, I’d rather enjoy them in the back garden but they’re going to be difficult to move.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,484
    It doesn’t look so bad from that angle, as you say,  cut of the bad bits.
    i don’t like working out the front either, you feel conspicuous. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.