Roses

Just noticed that 3 of my roses have a flowerbud developing on them already! I wasn’t expecting anything till may at earliest.

plus I live at border between England and Scotland so it’s not really been that warm up here.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 2,136
    Yes I have some too here in East Anglia... I'm finding they're about 2 weeks earlier than usual..
  • So do ur roses normally start flowering in April then?

I only planted the roses that I have last summer so this is gonna be their first full year but just thought that they wouldn’t start any earlier than may depending on the weather of course.
    My earliest roses will start flowering about 1st week in May, but most from mid May onwards... one year recently they started the last week in April, but just a few roses are ready for that early flowering.. I think it will be the same this year, a few will be ready by then.. but traditionally the last week in May is when most of our roses start blooming well in this country...  I have about 80 roses so some will be much earlier than others...
  • Oh right that’s really what I had in mind about flowering times tbh.

i knew things were gonna be a bit quicker this year but hopefully the display will still be wonderful haha!!
    edited 25 March
    The thing is, April and early May can be problematic.. especially if the roses have got going too early as they have this year... often we can get snow at Easter to set things back, and if temps should drop overnight to -5C,  this is a danger zone for the buds on roses which may have already developed... they're ok to -4C but -5 is iffy..  one year early May I got a -5 and they just got away with it, because the sun rises early, and that temp only lasts an hour or so during the night, but you really don't want that..
    foliage on some of them can be burnt at the tips or a tender stem could collapse..

Yours will be fine I'm sure...   please tell us which roses you are looking forward to seeing the  most...??..
  • Yeah I really hope we don’t get anything too cold from now on. 

Also the roses im looking forward too the most are:

scepter’d isle
    morning mist
    the mill on the floss
    musntead wood
    desdemona
    madame Alfred carriere
    l.d braithwaite

i have just over 30 roses all planted last year and all but about 5 are David Austin roses which are my favourites as u can probably tell by the list haha. I’m really starting to love roses.

which ones are u looking forward to?

oh gosh all of them.. it's difficult to single one out.. maybe 'Gabriel Oak' because it's new, but I have lots of new ones... 'Jubilee Papa Meilland' is another, it's a red rose with big blooms apparently...

I'd like about 150 roses but I have no room... I could probably just manage that number but in all truth, I should think of downsizing... 30 sounds nice to me...   I've got 4 of those you have... I'm really liking Mill on the Floss and hope for a great show this season...  please show some pictures of yours when you have them..
  • Yeah I bought both of the new David Austin roses at beginning of month so will be interesting to see them flower.

yeah although I have some room for  3 or 4 more if I want haha. One I like the look of is Emily bronte so that’s a possible purchase this year.

i definitely will post pictures when the time comes and hopefully I won’t be the only one doing so!

There might only be the two of us but that's ok... lol... 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,817
    You are not alone ... 👻 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh