1930’s property, small thin garden HELP 🙏🏼

I’ve recently purchased a 1930’s end terrace house. I’d appreciate any guidance, drawings, designs, inspiration or ideas please. I don’t know where to start with such a ‘skinny’ long (ish) garden 🤷🏼‍♂️
Thankyouuuuu 🌻

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,628
    edited 25 March
    Personally I like the trick of breaking the space into two or three garden rooms, which are partially screened off from the next with planting. Like this one; the planting area screens off the patio 'room' from the lawn 'room'. The path does a deliberate dog-leg through the planting, so you don't see straight down the length of the garden. 

• WillDB said:
    Personally I like the trick of breaking the space into two or three garden rooms, which are partially screened off from the next with planting. Like this one; the planting area screens off the patio 'room' from the lawn 'room'. The path does a deliberate dog-leg through the planting, so you don't see straight down the length of the garden. 

Oh I like that idea!! Thankyou 👍🏼
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,910
    I think that the path down the centre spoils the look, so something as suggested above would give a much better feel.
    Ideally you want to not be able to see straight from top to bottom, as this will make the garden look wider and bring in some mystery.
    You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    James - how many houses have you got? I assume this is a different one to the house mentioned in this post???
  • I have one house that I live in now; with the circular lawned garden that I did myself. The post your referring to is another house I was buying but I was gazumped prior to legal stuff going through :( 

This newest post is a house I’ve just purchased...
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Will you end up living in this latest house - in which case you'll need to design the garden to suit yourself - or will you be selling it on, in which case you'll need to design the garden to suit your best guess of a likely purchaser, e.g. young family with kids who need space for swings and a football pitch.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,424
    edited 25 March
    Just looking at your other thread and the completed garden.You've obviously got an eye for design and keeping plants happy and healthy .The sort of thing that @WillDB has posted above looks good, l think.
    Edited to add, l see l posted something similar a while back on the other thread, still you can never have too many compliments! 
  • Will you end up living in this latest house - in which case you'll need to design the garden to suit yourself - or will you be selling it on, in which case you'll need to design the garden to suit your best guess of a likely purchaser, e.g. young family with kids who need space for swings and a football pitch.
    I’ll be living in it so it certainly won’t be child friendly 😂
    More of a bumblebee haven ideally! Lol. I just love getting people’s opinions and ideas. Sometimes I worry I think to ‘inside the box’ so it helps to get opinions. Plus it’s daunting; I want to make sure I’m certain of my plan before I go ahead. 
  • AnniD said:
    Just looking at your other thread and the completed garden.You've obviously got an eye for design and keeping plants happy and healthy .The sort of thing that @WillDB has posted above looks good, l think.
    Edited to add, l see l posted something similar a while back on the other thread, still you can never have too many compliments! 
    Thankyou so much Anni; I really appreciate your kind words. I do try! 😂
    Good job I adore gardening eh otherwise I can imagine some would find it a chore to keep on top of.