Growing from seed - leveling?

Hello All, on the last two gardener's world episodes I watched Monty plant up seed trays and he used a wooden implement to level off the soil and pat it down. Does anyone know what that implement is called and where I could buy one please? Thank you!

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    It’s called a tamper, but you can use anything! I use an offcut of decking board for mine!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,477
    Think Monty made his own too ... never seen one in the shops. I made one with a piece of plank and a cotton reel for the handle. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• looblylulooblylu Posts: 2
    Thanks both! I'll make my own. 
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 244
    They can be found. Saw one recently on Amazon for £12 ish for half size tray one.  Not cheap. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,880
    I only ever use my hand. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• HazybHazyb Posts: 244
    I usually level by hand and then bottom end of another pot or tray of the same size to tamp down. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,432
    I use the bottom of another pot as well, l can't get over someone  charging  £12 for one !
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,427
    AnniD said:
    I use the bottom of another pot as well, l can't get over someone  charging  £12 for one !
    There's always somebody with more money than sense.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,494
    I use my hand or a pot too. I don't use seed trays much, but it would be very easy to knock up a bit of timber with a handle to do the job.
    I was thinking yesterday, when I removed a wooden knob from an old drawer, that it would be ideal for the job. I may need to make it and see if anyone offers me money for it...   :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,880
    I’ll give you £12.00 for it FG, Post it down to me I’ll send you the money😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.