Forum home Problem solving

Choysia sad after moving

Hi, we moved a large Choysia about 3 weeks ago, (so beginning of March). It was very healthy but in an inconvenient spot. We managed to get a good root ball on it but had to cut some of the tap roots. I've watered it maybe every other day and it is in partial sun but it's looking rather sad and droopy and like it might be on its way out. We didn't add any fertilizer when we replanted it and there are a lot of bluebells around it and near its roots which I planted afterwards as I thought this might be a good spot for them but could this be contributing to the problem? Or is it more likely to be the cutting of the tap roots and the time of year? Any advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,531
    I think you may just have to wait a bit more, it's an evergreen and they sometimes sulk a bit if they are moved.  It might help to ease off the watering, I would only do maybe twice a week - 2 gallons each time. Also, did you prune it down before you moved it? If it's a big bush, it may help to reduce the size.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000
    Sounds like your plant is transpiring at a rate faster than the disturbed roots can cope with . As Lizzie27 says , pruning would have been a good idea prior to moving .
    The recent gale force winds wouldn't have helped .
    These shrubs respond well to drastic reduction ;they're virtually indestructible , and a guaranteed way to save from dessication .
  • Thank you both for your help. We did prune it a little beforehand to reduce the size but perhaps not enough by the sounds of it. Presumably too late now? I will take your advice to ease off the watering a little and sit tight. Hopefully it will bounce back.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    Not too late now ... I’d reduce the foliage by at least half to reduce the strain on the roots while they recover and establish. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000
    You could even progress one step further and remove all foliage completely by lopping to bare wood .
    I've done this several times with Choisya shrubs ; they have always recovered .
  • Not too late now ... I’d reduce the foliage by at least half to reduce the strain on the roots while they recover and establish. 
    Ok great, will try this.
  • Paul B3 said:
    You could even progress one step further and remove all foliage completely by lopping to bare wood .
    I've done this several times with Choisya shrubs ; they have always recovered .
    Oh really? Good to know. Thank you.
  • tsteed97tsteed97 Posts: 13
    How old was it? Anything over 5 years can be tricky to move without adequate preparation. 
  • I don't actually know. We moved in 6 months ago but judging by the state of the garden, it's probably pretty old. It was very large and everything else in the garden was an overgrown, tangled mess.