Forum home Garden design

Gazebos. Are they worth having?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,933
    Bright and sunny Vendée here so we wanted a shade thingy big enough to hide the big teak table at full stretch plus the chairs and maybe a lounger.

Bought a dinky metal framed one with canvas roof and sides, though only fitted the roof, for 99€ in the sale, so mid July.   Lasted about a month before it needed surgery after a strong wind bent the frame.  By the time we dismantled it in late September, two of the soldered joints had gone and one strut had snapped.

Maybe, one day, I'll build a wooden frame that fits the roof or maybe I'll just build a big pergola with lots of climbing plants trained over the top for shade.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,030
    We had a gazebo. OH thought it would be useful shelter when he was fiddling about with the car. Dunno where it ended up, it was just gone one morning. I assume the neighbour has it, or a cow ate it or some such. OH built a garage instead.

I agree with Fairy - go for a nice sturdy wooden pergola.

You can get permanent canopies made from strong plasticised canvas and fixed to a permanent metal frame. Garden centres and schools use them a lot for outdoor covered spaces. They are very sturdy but not cheap for domestic patios.
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 42,229
    Well done @dannytravisbrown for dredging up an old thread for your blatant advertising.
    Reported
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nice one @Fairygirl - seems like a relevant link to me - reported you back  <3
    That's fine. Fill your boots   :)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,471
    And just like magic, it’s gone. We’ll await @Fairygirl’s  reporting😀😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Indeed @Lyn ;)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,254
    Nice to get off to a good start on a new forum, isn’t it? 🙄
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,214
    Difference between Gazabos and pergolas, Gazabos have a "roof". We bought one years ago, good quality,metal,3 sides, windows in the sides, sort of  thick plastic,looks like canvas,used it every year. First bought it for our wedding,22 years next week,in case of rain. You can't leave it up long in one spot,grass goes yellow. Haven't used it for several years, we've got a big conservatory and a summer house. It is very windy,where we now live, hubby made a pergola recently,it cost around £300,was going to have a decking floor,but wood shortage. It boils down to how much outdoor entertaining you do,have you got room and money for a more permanent structure.yes,I did click crop AND rotate!
    @Nanny Beach - the thread was only resurrected yesterday because of a freeloading parasite trying to advertise, and who didn't take kindly to being reported for it. Best ignored now   ;)