Forum home Problem solving

Problem trees

hibjibbird2hibjibbird2 Posts: 3
edited March 2019 in Problem solving
My elderly neighbour no longer lives in their house. There are 4 conifer trees in her garden which are taller than the houses. I have no sunlight in my garden due to these trees. What can I do about them?


  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 11,635
    If they are more or less in a row and are leylandi, you could try asking your local council for an order to cut them down to a 2 metre height.  But if your neighbour has no money and/or is in a nursing home, it may be difficult to get this enforced.   Are there tenants in the house or is it empty.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • It’s empty, has been for about 4 months
  • Not seen anyone at the house for about 4 months. There are 4 trees & it is continual from one end of garden to the other. No sunlight at all in my garden anytime of the day. In darkness all day
  • pansyfacepansyface Posts: 22,297
    You could contact the Land Registry to find the name of the registered owner of the property.

    Then write to that person (if it is your old neighbour the post must be being redirected somewhere). 

    Then ask for ideas.

    You can’t do anything to the trees yourself. That would be trespass and criminal damage, I believe.

    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601
    You might have more luck with the council if there is any danger of them falling, say in a storm, or if they are so close to buildings that the roots could cause damage. You should be able to get someone to look at them if you have any such grounds to worry.
Sign In or Register to comment.