Forum home Tools and techniques

How to seal Terracotta / Clay Pots?

2»

• joepatrjoepatr Posts: 23
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but did anyone have any joy with the Thompson's Water Seal. I asked someone in a review of the product online and someone said it wouldn't stop the water from leaking out.

Was trying to avoid bitumen paint as it's ugly, but wondering if it's my only option.

Thanks 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,361
    Read back and then try clear acrylic varnish or PVA glue.   I find the varnish easier to apply.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • coccinellacoccinella Luxembourg Posts: 366
    Obelixx said:
    I use simple acrylic water based varnish.   3 coats maximum or it goes filmy.  Leave a few hours to dry between coats.

Stops water absorption, doesn't change the look of the terracotta unless you use a satin or gloss finish but won't grow algae for many years either so no weathering.
    Hi Obelixx I found this old thread about coating pots. Do I do it inside and outside? I am trying to keep moisture in rather than for aesthetic effect.  Thank you.
    PS Sunny in Lux today. Hoping for temperatures to go up a bit, it has been very cold.
    When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
    @coccinella I do inside and out or the pot will absorb water from the compost.

Sunny here too and, at last, no wind chill factor but still not warm enough to shed the jumper, especially in shade.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • joepatrjoepatr Posts: 23
    Obelixx said:
    Read back and then try clear acrylic varnish or PVA glue.   I find the varnish easier to apply.
    Thank you for your reply. Is there a specific brand / company that you use as there's so much out there on the market?
    I live in France so brand names are unlikely to be the same but any clear, water based acrylic varnish will do the job.  No pint gong for a premium brand and price.