Foxglove problem

Could anyone tell me what is causing this Foxglove to look so sick. It’s only been planted in John Inness No 3 for about a week. It’s been outside as was told that would be ok, we haven’t had any frost as far as I’m aware. The pellets around it are slug and snail pellets just in case it’s down to those blighters. Is there anything I should do to revive it or will it just die? Thanks for any advice given.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 16,442
    Slugs and snails don't eat foxgloves as they're poisonous to them.  You've scattered far too many in any case.

I reckon it's drowning.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,484
    If you must use slug pellets 4 grains is plenty around one plant! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GartenerGartener South EastPosts: 80
    Lyn said:
    If you must use slug pellets 4 grains is plenty around one plant! 
    4 grains not gonna do it for the Cuties, i ve in my garden.

Just to be safe, i too may ve gone over board with the pallets in my garden.

@ Obelixx, thanks for the tip abt drowing. My fox glove plugs are looking similar, so i will try to cut down on watering.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,833
    The problem with using too many pellets, is that they actually attract slugs to the area.
    Time slide, place to hide, nudge reality
    Foresight, minds wide, magic imagery, oh-ho...
  • Your plant looks as though it is rotting from the top.  Foxgloves are a semi-woodland plant and like a bit of shade.
    If you must use slug pellets a) put them in a slug pub so the birds can't get to them and b) check the area first thing every morning to remove any dead slugs before the birds find them.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 1,242
    They also do well in poor dry soil and don't need to be in pots with rich compost. I'd agree with too wet.
  • Barn FieldBarn Field Posts: 46

Thank you all for your advice. All points taken onboard. Will remove slug pellets, move to a more shaded area and reduce watering 
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 631

it is a waste to plant into JI compost, ours go strait into the ground shaded by trees.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 5,878
    I agree Cornelly, foxgloves once past the seed/seedling stage don't need to be pampered.  They grow best dappled, shady or wooded areas of the garden so they do well in leafy compost - I just water them for a couple of weeks (2 or 3 times a week is what I do) until they have established.  I find that our foxgloves can wilt in very hot, sunny positions.