Forum home The potting shed

Deleting old discussions

Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
Anyone know if it's possible to remove old and no longer used discussions that you personally have created ?
I have ask the powers that be on a number of occasions but they just don't bother to respond.
I would of thought it would be in their interest if people could remove these to help clear server space.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,246
    As far as I know you can't delete your old posts or threads, which I think is typical of most forums.
    You can leave the forum and have all your posts deleted, but I think that's the only way.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,739
    Why bother?  If it's old and unvisited it'll disappear down to the pages where no-one goes.   The server probably has huge space in the "cloud" anyway and the mods will clear stuff as and when they need to.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • bronallbronall Posts: 19
    Obelixx said:
    Why bother?  If it's old and unvisited it'll disappear down to the pages where no-one goes.   The server probably has huge space in the "cloud" anyway and the mods will clear stuff as and when they need to.   
    Why bother? Some people get very nasty on here. Friends have experienced it and today I posted for the second time ever and oh boy did I ever experience it. I would like to delete the thread as it was hijacked and not very nice. I even got threatening pm's all for asking a perfectly innocent question, which fortunately GW direct sorted for me.
    We should be able to delete threads we started if we want to.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,163
    Good grief.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    I read your thread @bronall and  maybe you were upset by the tone of some of the comments but your response to them wasn't very nice either. A polite reply saying you were upset by some of the comments or maybe saying Im sure  you didn't mean for your post to come across like that or have I misunderstood what you meant is surely better. 
    I'm sorry your first experience of this forum was so traumatic.
    I was getting a bit frustrated because apart from the earlier helpful messages I received people were responding with out actually reading my question and making a totally incorrect assumptions. I explained several times but they were nasty in response.

I blocked some users and stated I had because I was receiving abusive private messages which is totally uncalled for.

As I stated in my post on this thread, that was the second not the first time I had asked a question on this forum. The last time being about 3 years ago I think. I haven't made a habit of it because of what friends have told me of their experiences.

How foolish was I not to take heed.

• hatty123hatty123 West YorkshirePosts: 96
    edited 15 April
    @bronall I also read the thread you posted. You make out you were asking a question but you phrased it as if asking for opinions, which people then gave. Your responses were then on the argumentative side when they didn't wholly agree with you. If you don't want opinions or discussion on something you have to say on a subject then a forum on any website isn't the right place, surely discussion is the whole point of forums 🤷
    Oh and for the record, I am not, as one particularly poisonous person messaged to inform me, a scrounging single mother who wants everything for free. I am a retired married business woman, who employed a dozen or so people for a 35 year period. I have never claimed benefits in my life. And I now live in a beautiful 10 acres by the sea in the most beautiful part of this world.

I pay a subscription to GW not piggyback off a technical error, I also only read newspapers that require a subscription so the problem of adverts does not usually pose a problem, other than in the subscriber area of this site. GW have informed me is a technical error. So hopeful that's solved.

So yes, I am cross. I did not deserve this when all I asked, is anyone else fed up with ads on articles?
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    bronall said:
    Oh and for the record, I am not, as one particularly poisonous person messaged to inform me, a scrounging single mother who wants everything for free. I am a retired married business woman, 

That's just uncalled for. It saddens me that people can feel free to write such unpleasant things when they probably wouldnt have the courage to say it to your face.
    Trolls seem to be everywhere or as this is a gardening forum should that be gnomes? ☺
    Hatty123

Yes a forum is supposed to be for discussion , not abuse.

I was not aggressive. I was re-explaining what I was on about, the fact that certain people ignored that was frustrating.

I blocked someone which I was entitled to do. but he kept posting so I told him I had blocked him and I didnt want to hear from him which is fair enough.

Would you be happy to receive abusive accusations?

I am pretty certain that the pm's would be classed as hate crimes. And if I get any more I will go to the police. If they do not live in the UK so they cannot be prosecuted I will get them banned from GW