Bird ID

On Sundays in the morning I like to draw the curtains of my bedroom window and look for birds in the garden while I have breakfast in bed.

This morning I’ve had the following visitors: 2 long-tailed tits, 2 goldfinches, 2 blue tits (they seem to all come in twos), and one of the birds that I’ve photographed for ID. I don’t remember seeing this one before.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,764
    I think it's some kind of Partridge. Very handsome! 
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 503
    Looks similar to the grey partridges we had in our garden last year. We had never seen them before and have never seen them since.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,467
    edited 24 March
    That’s a French partridge Alektoris rufa (... do you have a pear tree? 😉)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Red-legged partridge

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 644
    edited 24 March
    Thank you, everyone. It’s certainly an unusual visitor. I have a cherry tree in flower and that seems to attract the smaller birds. But now my enumeration makes more sense, since it ends with a partridge. 😊
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,467
    Possibly one of a pair seeking a secluded corner for nesting. Partridges and pheasants often venture into gardens at this time of year as they often provide the sort of cover they need. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 644
    I wish they would stay, but my garden is really small, so I don’t think they will find it suitable. It was a welcome sight, though.