jiffy pellets worth it?

Hi all,
I've seen at least a couple of recommendations for using these pellets, and I notice plants I buy from garden centres also seem to have been started off in them. I'd value people's experiences/opinions on whether they are worth using?

The main benefit seems to me to be that there is that the roots are air pruned and they can be transplanted without any disturbance and thus any check to the plants growth. However, I do have a soil blocker in the cupboard, which I believe should achieve a similar result, and with reduced costs financially and to the worlds resources, so I may just be lusting after something new for the sake of it :-)

Thanks in advance!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,432
    Never had much success with them tbh Neil, found them a bit hit and miss. I'd stick with the soil blocker and save the money for something else  :)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,605
    I have used them a long time ago. They worked for me but, I did find that in a warm spell they would dry out very quickly. They're also a relatively expensive way of raising plants.
    I went back to seed boxes and modules many years ago.
    Your soil blocker sounds good and I recall Monty using one last year - not yet seen him using it again this year though
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,880
    Monty uses what he’s told to use for adverting purposes.
    I don’t like paying out for things like that as compost, modules made of paper, recycled seed trays all work as well or better.
    If you can afford them and money is no object, then go for them. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BraidmanBraidman Posts: 40
    They used to be made from peat, but when the PC brigade got started the are now made from coir, transported a quarter way around the globe!

The peat ones were very expensive for what they were and if dried out were very difficult to re wet, as coir is no where near as easy to work with as peat I doubt they would be any good and the last time I looked at them in a GC they were very, very expensive!
  • Hi AnniD, Pete8, Lyn and Braidman,
    Many thanks for your responses! It doesn't sound like these things are the panacea they are touted as being. I have to admit that before I asked the question, I thought they were just another costly, labour saving, convenience thing that made gardening quicker and easier; which to me is the opposite of what I want from gardening. However, given their apparent popularity, I remained open-minded and was expecting someone to come along and singe their praises. I'm actually quite glad that no-one has, and thus I can continue to handle soil, and to enjoy the peace that comes with pricking out my seedlings :-)

Thanks again! :-)
    kind regards
    Neil
  • SlumSlum Posts: 258
    Lyn said:
    Monty uses what he’s told to use for adverting purposes.

The opposite is true. He has to be careful not to endorse any particular company’s product and he is not able to do any advertising. I’ve heard him say it is part of his BBC contract. BBC editorial rules would not allow any advertising in programmes like GW. 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,880
    As long as he doesn’t mention the actual name or brand name. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.