Shredder

13»

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,714
    Lizzie27 said:
    Thanks Slum, I didn't think it had a cutting blade as well so that's good to have it confirmed. It doesn't cope with leafy stuff at all unfortunately. Ours must be about ten years old now. Must remember about selling spares on Ebay though.
    The crusher type shredders don't deal with leafy stuff very well.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,702
    I have had the same one as Lyn for yonks, a workhorse, used a lot, never changed the blade. When it finally packs in I would buy a Bosch again. You are better off running a lawnmower over your leaves to break them up, a shredder is not really designed for that.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,944
    Sorry, I meant ours doesn't like hedge branches with leaves still attached - lawnmower not any good in that situation.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,714
    Lizzie27 said:
    Sorry, I meant ours doesn't like hedge branches with leaves still attached - lawnmower not any good in that situation.
    The shredders with the whizzy round blades (technical description) tend to do those better.  What I generally do is feed branches with leaves in with some drier stuff at the same time.  Seems to stop the innards getting gummed up.
    I expect we'll get one of those when ours packs up.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,097
    I have an alko impact shredder which is the type KT53 describes and use it in exactly that way - soft greens stuffed in and 'helped through' by then feeding in woody material up to about 20mm.  I do remove and sharpen the (reversible) blades every few months and new replacements are about £20 which I get about every 2-3 years.  Still going strong after about 20 years.  The resulting shredded mixture composts down very quickly with the help of 'recycled beer' and is excellent stuff.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    edited April 2019
    That's also good to know @BobTheGardener. I'll try to remember that make. As we have lots of hedges, there's an awful lot of pruning to do.
  • We have a Bosch AXT 25 TC and it crunches through the apple, hawthorn and buddleia prunings very well. Not too noisy; my two year old slept maybe 7 metres away.
    Don't tend to chop much leafy stuff so can't comment on that side.