Forum home Tools and techniques

Shredder

13»

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,408
    I have had the same one as Lyn for yonks, a workhorse, used a lot, never changed the blade. When it finally packs in I would buy a Bosch again. You are better off running a lawnmower over your leaves to break them up, a shredder is not really designed for that.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,325
    Sorry, I meant ours doesn't like hedge branches with leaves still attached - lawnmower not any good in that situation.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,177
    Lizzie27 said:
    Sorry, I meant ours doesn't like hedge branches with leaves still attached - lawnmower not any good in that situation.
    The shredders with the whizzy round blades (technical description) tend to do those better.  What I generally do is feed branches with leaves in with some drier stuff at the same time.  Seems to stop the innards getting gummed up.
    I expect we'll get one of those when ours packs up.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,342
    I have an alko impact shredder which is the type KT53 describes and use it in exactly that way - soft greens stuffed in and 'helped through' by then feeding in woody material up to about 20mm.  I do remove and sharpen the (reversible) blades every few months and new replacements are about £20 which I get about every 2-3 years.  Still going strong after about 20 years.  The resulting shredded mixture composts down very quickly with the help of 'recycled beer' and is excellent stuff.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    edited April 2019
    That's also good to know @BobTheGardener. I'll try to remember that make. As we have lots of hedges, there's an awful lot of pruning to do.
  • We have a Bosch AXT 25 TC and it crunches through the apple, hawthorn and buddleia prunings very well. Not too noisy; my two year old slept maybe 7 metres away.
    Don't tend to chop much leafy stuff so can't comment on that side.