Shredder

• phildigphildig "New home with a lot of gardening to do!"Posts: 47
    Thank you very much for all these replies. Very helpful thank you.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,714
    If spare blades are available, get them when you buy the shredder.  I had one for years and finally needed to replace the blades.  The model was no longer manufactured and I couldn't find blades anywhere.  I ended up having to buy a new shredder despite the mechanics of the old one being perfectly OK.
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 894
    I’ve enjoyed my wood chipper but it does jam regularly, and takes a good faff to unscrew, open up and clear.

A lot of twigs remain, so the resulting mulch is not amazing looking.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,917
    We have the same one as Pat, very pleased withit, takes pretty big branches, me personally, cant push them thru but Hubby can, I dont think you will get a quiet one though, he sharpens the blades himself, we have never bought new ones.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,829
    Mine was free from Freecycle.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,932
    Lyn said:
    We got this one, bought in 2011 as you see,  it gets a lot of hard work here, we’ve replaced the blade once, you can turn them over but not sharpen them.  Will buy another blade this year probably.
    if you can get a good 2nd hand one it should be ok,  no telling with that though, someone may be getting rid because it’s knackered.

Just bought a new blade for ours, £25.00, they don’t sharpen well, perhaps that’s because it’s the genuine Bosch one. This is only the second blade we’ve bought, it get a lot, a real lot of work. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,944
    We've got a similar looking Bosch shredder as well but maybe a bit older. it has a corkscrew effort inside which crushes the wood? Didn't know you could get replacement blades - is there one inside as well as the corkscrew bit?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,944
    I stack up twigs and small branches in piles around the garden as habitat. If you're a bit rural then burn them and compost the ash.
  • SlumSlum Posts: 266
    Lizzie27 said:
    We've got a similar looking Bosch shredder as well but maybe a bit older. it has a corkscrew effort inside which crushes the wood? Didn't know you could get replacement blades - is there one inside as well as the corkscrew bit?
    Not on that model. The corkscrew does the cutting not a blade on a spinning disk. I used to have one of these but it developed a motor fault and was beyond economical repair. Sold it for parts on ebay. Shame as it was very effective on woody stems.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,944
    Thanks Slum, I didn't think it had a cutting blade as well so that's good to have it confirmed. It doesn't cope with leafy stuff at all unfortunately. Ours must be about ten years old now. Must remember about selling spares on Ebay though.