weird bug

Can anyone identify this bug? It has wings and about the size of a beetle. Never seen anything like it!!
Don't know what's going on in this garden ha ha!!!

• pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 584
    It looks like a shield bug to me.
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 452
    Yes, definitely a shield bug. There loads of different species, very interesting to look at.
  • moragb1moragb1 Posts: 289
    Thank you both so much I have never seen the like here and been gardening for 40 years. What does it eat? Are my plants at risk? ha ha xxx
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,446
    Don't think they cause many problems. Have a look at this
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=519  
    Thanks AnniD. Yes I googled it and read a few links. Rarish in Scotland and can't tell if a Hawthorn or Birch Shield bug. I have woods at the back of my house xx many thanks and so glad it was identified for me, You learn something new every day
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,520
    We love shield bugs when we see them in our garden . .. they’re so handsome and do very little damage from 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 748
    https://www.amateurgardening.com/news/brown-stink-bugs-pose-threat-uk-11107

I sometimes find single ones of these and I kill them because they are a threat to crops and we live in an arable farming area. The US calls these 'stink bugs' but they are also a member of the shield bug family. 

There are some beautiful native species and then there are the unwelcome invaders like these. 
    Thanks Dovefromabove. Wow Bijdezee those ones are baaaaad xx
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 744
    I always thought that shielbugs were harmless but had heard that they were seen as a pest in the USA. Although I'm sure that Christine Walkden said on gardeners question time that there was a new variety in the UK which were destructive.
  • Green shield bug.I've had a strange flying bug in my garden today went to get phone to take a photo but it flew off.It looked very similar to a hawk moth you see abroad but smaller any ideas