Small front garden re-design

amp1706amp1706 Posts: 3
edited 23 March in Garden design

Looking to re-landscape my front garden. As you may see from the pictures a third of the space is used for a driveway. Ideally, I would like to remove the plants on the left-hand side, remove or fix the brickwall and change the cream coloured stones to grey so it matches the drive way. 

This is a small revamp job so I'm not looking to spend a vast amount. Open to suggestions and designs. Look forward to hearing from you.

• tessagardenbarmytessagardenbarmy York,North YorkshirePosts: 330
    If you're  removing the brick wall are you intending  to plant a boundary eg. a hedge or to have it open?Agree that using grey/blue slate chippings would tone in better. If you bag up existing ones you can probably  sell them on. Are you wanting any plants at all?
  • amp1706amp1706 Posts: 3
    Hello tessagardenbarmy,

I would like to remove the brick wall and level the ground so it is flush against the driveway. Do you know where I could buy grey stones rather than slate? I might consider potted plants that are evergreen for low maintenance. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,184
    Not sure I really understand what advice you're looking for, but if it's just gravel, you can google for builder's merchants in your area. They all stock gravels of different types.  :)
    Potted plants are more work than plants in the ground. You'd be better planting the evergreens  directly in the ground. If you have an idea of the look you want, we'd be able to make suggestions for that. Is it just a group of three or five to give a focal point, or do you want a full bed/border?

I personally prefer the contrast of the gravel against the driveway, but that just highlights that we all have different likes and dislikes   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• amp1706amp1706 Posts: 3
    Hello Fairygirl,

I just want to improve the overall look of the garden without paving. Gravel is relatively cheap and low maintenance. Any other ideas would be welcome!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,184
    A collection of 'easy' evergreen/deciduous shrubs down at the pavement end would probably suit. Something to look at out the window in winter, and on wet days, and would also form a boundary. :)
    You can  incorporate the spring bulbs , especially on the house side of them, for your benefit. You can colour co ordinate too if you want, and you could also plant something like an Amelanchier,  would provide a bit of height, without becoming huge. Rowans are also good for a similar effect. 
    That, coupled with a Hebe [a mound forming one] and something vertical like a golden Yew, would give a basic, three plant, structural start, and you could add a few smaller, ground covering shrubs, to give a decent planted area, or easy perennials like geraniums.  None of those will take a lot of time and effort to maintain once established. There are plenty of other shrubs which would do exactly the same job too.

If you go down that route, it would be better to clear the area for planting first, by moving all the exisiting gravel back, and improving the soil there. It will be a bit poor, and compacted, and not ideal for new plants. The gravel can then be replaced and will act as a mulch to preserve moisture.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,090
    Not sure what "design advice" we can give if you simply want to remove the plants and change the colour of the gravel. ?

A good idea from tess to try and sell the existing stuff, or alternatively post it on freecycle/gumtree to takeaway. Could save you the cost of a skip.
    Agree with Fairy too, plenty of different colour aggregates widely available from builders merchants or the big DIY sheds.

If you're taking the wall out you will have to consider how to tidy up the end by the hedge and leave it neat, as it seems to continute across the neighbours front too. Unless it's just the angle of the photo?