Blueberry plants

NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 949
I would like to buy a Blueberry plant this weekend but have read somewhere that I need two is this correct. Also do the plants need to be of the same variety if I need two or can they be different. 

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    Hiya I’m new to them too but my understanding is that although not essential the yields are better with more than one and the varieties don’t have to be the same. I got mine from Trehane nurseries- they have some general growing advice on their website.
  • NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 949
    Thanks Flinster I take a look at the site.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,605
    Excellent blueberry plants from Trehane - I'm very pleased with my 3
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Thanks Pete, Just trying to decide which one's to order. They have an offer on at the moment and would be rude not to take them up on it lol.
    I bought Herbert, Ozark Blue and Patriot.
    They produced about 500g between them in the 1st year and have more than doubled in size since I bought them. Herbert had the most blueberry flavour and big fruits, Ozark Blue also had big berries and sweeter then Herbert, Patriot I thought was somewhere between the other two.
    I've  got an early, mid and late and I noticed a few flowers opening on one this morning - hope the bees etc get to notice them!
    The flower buds look very full, so fingers x'ed for a blueberry summer :)
    That's a good idea, so you'll have fruit throughout the summer think I'll do that. Going to get this book from them as I know nothing about growing them and it's only £5
    If you've got very acid soil, or access to rainwater if they're in pots, I've found them very easy.
    Mine are in pots and I've kept them damp and given them a good soak about once a month with Miracle Grow Azalea feed and liquid seaweed extract now and then and they've grown strongly. They're in 5L pots and filling them quickly
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,895
    You do need 2 for cross pollonation.  My Darrow is usually a good croppy, says they arent fully hardy so the go in a cold greenhouse, just to be sure.  As soons as the berries arrive they are put into a fruit cage because the birdies love them.
    Pete I think I might have enough rain water, I have seven yes your read that correct seven 22 ltr water buts. I don't like using tap water unless I really have to. Our soil is dark grey smelly clay so they will be in pots in the fruit cage. I have the pink Miracle grow but will need to get some liquid seaweed extract. Thanks for telling about that.How long do Trehane nurseries take to deliver.
    Thanks for that Nanny Beach just said to Pete they will live in my fruit cage along with all the other fruit so we get the crop and not the birds.