Ladybirds

Is anyone else having problems with Ladybirds coming in doors. No sooner have you put them outside they are back in.

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    I have not seen many yet. Are they coming in through open doors or windows?
    We get them around window frames in the winter, we leave most of ours cracked open. Dare not close them in case any get squished.

I think it might be too cold, they want to come in and get warm :D
    Driving along the other day I found one on my arm, a bit distracting, but I have no idea where it came from I had only just left home and got onto the motorway.
    Maybe it wanted to go shopping too.
    Luckily the car park has lots of trees and shrubs so ladybird got a new home.

• NannaBooNannaBoo Posts: 953
    We have masses of them opened the window to put them out and there was even more between the frame and the window. Got a dry paint brush and brushed they of, sum flew of others I think were dead sadly. 
  • a1154a1154 Posts: 731
    I have never seen so many ladybirds they are all over the place in my garden, I have a glut!  Hope there is food for them all, don’t want them going hungry.
  • NickG61NickG61 Posts: 18
    Where there are masses of ladybirds, these will probably be Harlequins, an alien species which preys on our native ones. The  problem is so bad that experts say there’s no point in killing them as it wouldn’t make any difference to the millions infesting the uk.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,728
    Alien species are nothing new.

Fifty years ago, collared doves were “those cute little beige birds” that you thought yourself lucky to see. Then, one year, the local rookery was deserted by its occupants. The rooks had been driven out by these innocent looking avian thugs.

Those green parakeets seem to be doing the same thing in the south of England.

Mink have escaped from mink farms and ruined the eco system in lots of places.

Just one of those things.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Ladybirds belong to the scientific family Coccinellidae. In Britain, some 46 species belong to this family, although only 26 of these are recognisable as ladybirds.

You can find more information here I never knew we had so many native ones in the UK.
    http://www.coleoptera.org.uk/coccinellidae/home

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,490
    We’ve got lots of ladybirds 🐞 appearing  in the garden this spring ... and so far they look like native ones. 

In other years I have noticed that the Harlequins appear a bit later in the year, after the native ones. Anyone else noticed this?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    We seem to have a ladybird glut as well this year, but so far havent seen one harlequin, so hopefully its been a good year for the natives
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 344
    In East Yorkshire - I've also seen huge numbers of ladybirds in our garden and in places we've visited.

Im glad of them as we also have huge numbers of aphids all over my new roses!

All native ones that I've seen so far.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    Also a glut here... all over the garden, which pleases me greatly! 😁