starting Dahlia tubers

2»

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,899
    Last year as per my other gardening mag, Garden News (weekly) it said pot up the tubers around about now, completely covered in compost, little light water, and exclude light, for 10 days, then they are shooting, last year they were 6 inches high by then, shoots a bit yellow but as soon as you remove covering and they get some light they green up, I dont pinch the tops out.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,304
    if you look at packs of dahlias in GC and shops, they're in bone dry compost and often shoot. I'm not a fan of watering them before they start growing.
    Others are, of course, free to take a different approach.
    Devon.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,267
    I think that why I was confused by SR’s instructions, @Hostafan1 because I thought I read somewhere they should be kept dryish in their pots until they shooted... hmm, hope the ones I really want, which haven’t shooted yet, have not rotted!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,304
    Nollie said:
    I think that why I was confused by SR’s instructions, @Hostafan1 because I thought I read somewhere they should be kept dryish in their pots until they shooted... hmm, hope the ones I really want, which haven’t shooted yet, have not rotted!
    I think it's maybe one of these cases where you ask 100 gardeners the same question , you'll get almost 100 different answers?
    Devon.