Forum home The potting shed

Brexishambles

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,774
    That’s the first time I’ve ever agreed with anything Davis has ever said 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,413
    Me too Dove.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,653
    Sadly, last year he laughed his earlier remark off when asked about it by Andrew Marr. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,653
    If the mods are looking in, Philippa, I hope they have signed the petition.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,512
    I think it's easy enough to avoid this thread if it's not something you wish to read/discuss. 
    Every year we have a thread about " strictly ":  I don't watch it, so I don't read the thread. I don't have pets , so I avoid the pets thread too. 
    Seemples.
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,563
    Nollie said:
    Cameron didn’t learn anything from the Scottish independence referendum did he? That was a close call and will doubtless raise its head again.
    As the major stumbling block with Brexit is the Northern Ireland / Republic border, we'd have the same again if Scotland gained independance and decided to join the EU.  I'd have dual nationality so I would be able to travel in Europe again :-)
  • StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087
    I don’t really do politics or religion as both have started conflict and wars 
    i voted to leave based on the debate that we paid more in to the EU and got less back. Simple maths 
    Thats my arguement and still is 
    i voted to leave based on the debate that we paid more in to the EU and got less back. Simple maths 
    I wonder where the cost of thousands of lost jobs as companies relocate to mainland Europe and beyond fits in the simple maths?
    Devon.
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 1,733

How are you working that out?

We get back far more than we pay in - access to development funding for poorer areas (which we're entitled to even more of thanks to the Tories) - access to the single market worth 30 - 90 billion pounds a year - easy access to skilled workers for industries like the NHS that otherwise would be understaffed - easy access to unskilled workers for agricultural work etc 

Scientific research funding - freedom of movement to live, work and travel across the EU

The benefits of EU membership are huge and can't all be easily measured monetarily. But the overall impact on the economy and general quality of life in this country is certainly a net positive - even just counting the parts you can measure.

so genuinely out of interest - how do you figure that we get less than we pay in?

How are you working that out?

We get back far more than we pay in - access to development funding for poorer areas (which we're entitled to even more of thanks to the Tories) - access to the single market worth 30 - 90 billion pounds a year - easy access to skilled workers for industries like the NHS that otherwise would be understaffed 

The NHS has almost 20,000 unfilled vacancies as we speak. How is leaving going to help that?
    Devon.