Forum home The potting shed

Brexishambles

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,752
    Snap! Pansy  ;)

Someone’s been hoist with their own petard 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,678
    Let's just hope it turns out not to be a "May" day.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by stupidity."

I see no reason to suppose that a similar principle does not apply here. I have often seen the flag flown the wrong way for no good reason.
    "Never ascribe to malice, that which can be explained by stupidity."

I’m trying not to ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,146
    I wanted to sign the petition, but "Only British citizens or UK residents have the right to sign". Strange that us European citizens don't have a say in keeping or losing one of our beloved members. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,678
    British people living in the EU for more than 15 years didn't even have the right to vote in the referendum Papi Jo.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Marlorena said:

.... you can vote multiple times from all over the world...  

Afraid that’s fake news from yet more conspiracy theorists ... the House of Commons  Petition Committee have investigated and confirmed that 96% of people signing are verified as from within the UK ... and of course UK citizens can vote even if they happen to be abroad at the moment 
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-petition-article-50-revoke-record-website-deal-theresa-may-latest-a8836536.html

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,905
    edited March 2019
    David Davis 

His words – taken from a speech on Europe in 2012 – were 

“If a democracy cannot change its mind it ceases to be democracy. We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards. Referendeums should be held when people know exactly what they’re getting.”

Right.....

(Four and a half million have signed the petition, Mr Davis.)

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,722
    pansyface said:
    David Davis 

His words – taken from a speech on Europe in 2012 – were 

“If a democracy cannot change its mind it ceases to be democracy. We should not ask people to vote on a blank sheet of paper and tell them to trust us to fill in the details afterwards. Referendeums should be held when people know exactly what they’re getting.”

I don't disagree with that, and the blame for lack of information can be laid firmly at the door of David Cameron and his cronies.  They were so certain that the vote would be to Remain, that they didn't even consider the possibility of any other outcome.  Therefore they never looked at the 'what if', nor did they inform the people, honestly or otherwise, of the pro's and con's of each option.
    The little s**t then ran away when he didn't get his own way.  May has her faults, plenty of them, but at least she was prepared to take on the impossible task.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,123
    Cameron didn’t learn anything from the Scottish independence referendum did he? That was a close call and will doubtless raise its head again.