Forum home The potting shed

Brexishambles

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,253
    Precisely.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730
    DyersEnd said:
     "For example, I heard of a farmer who grew two crops, but the EU insisted that he grew three. God only knows why! There was also a proposal to limit the power of electric kettles to increase their efficiency." 

Can you show me proof that these things actually happened?  Some of the rubbish I have heard/read have made me very cynical I'm afraid.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/10/eu-to-launch-kettle-and-toaster-crackdown-after-brexit-vote2/ 

https://www.cla.org.uk/three-crop-rule-relaxed-eu# 
    But the specific farmer who requested exemption from the 3 crop rule was allowed to go ahead so he still got his basic grant and the electrical thing never happened. Typical press exaggeration.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,987
    There isn’t a government view. The cabinet is split. 
    And how can anyone ‘agree with what is going on’ ... nothing is going on at all. There is an impasse 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,146
    Hazel 1 said:
    It is very interesting to observe on threads such as these, how political allegiances are displayed and mainly always from one point of view but rarely the opposite viewpoint. A lot of the posts are very anti - government but I rarely  see a post from anyone who is for the government and who agrees with what is going on. I wonder why this is?
    There isn’t a government view. The cabinet is split. 
    And how can anyone ‘agree with what is going on’ ... nothing is going on at all. There is an impasse 🙄 
    Which is why I've always said the negotiations should have been " cross party " from day one.
    In the past we've had 2 general elections in a shorter period of time than has elapsed since the Referendum, a lot has happened since it took place.
    Why fear another one? If you think "your" side is right and will win, why not?

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    The petition site cannot show the usual live count updates as it is overwhelmed with interest. So it is showing just under four million at the moment and has done since three this morning.

But there are hopes for 5 million signatures by the end of today. 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 5,335
    'Am spitting blood. This creature needs putting down'.

So said the charming lady who started this petition, so proudly and 'right on' it would seem, on social media..

I expect the nutter who murdered Jo Cox said much the same.. it would appear that this way around, it's somehow..ok?...

You are welcome to her.. keep voting as long as your conscience is clear that you wish to overturn democracy and give support to someone who holds such views...   you can vote multiple times from all over the world... 

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,167
    You have to provide a verification email address to sign the petition and the government website checks for duplicates so you would need several addresses to vote more than once. So perfectly possible but tedious and time consuming to do.
    I'm currently in South Korea and would be perfectly entitled to vote from here if I hadn't done it already.
    There's a bbc article on the likelihood of significant fraudulent voting on this which concludes that it is unlikely to be significant.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    edited March 2019
    Parliamentary petitions are open to everyone. Anyone can begin one and anyone can sign one.

I have no axe to grind. I am not a “political” person. I belong to no political organisation.

I merely started this thread for people who, like me, feel unable to express their dismay about the way that things are turning out, to know about the existence of the petition and to the opportunity to vent their feelings, even though that may be a futile act.

People will be marching in London today with the same wish and with the same hope that those in power, too often looking inwards in their ivory tower, will see a physical manifestation of what “the man in the street” is feeling outside. 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730
    Which creature needs putting down Marlorena? A serious question as I haven't seen the comment and agree with you that it is unacceptable. However, signing a petition is a perfectly acceptable and peaceful method of protesting about a matter which I feel is important.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 5,025
    pansyface said:

Let’s be honest, has Mrs May’s much hated deal ever been spelled out to us, the people who will have to “accept”it?  We know she has a deal. We know it’s not liked by people who have had the opportunity to read it, but have you seen it? Do you know, to give one small example, what the British fishing rights will be in British waters? Once again, we are being asked to swallow a pill without knowing either what is in it or what it will do to us.
    The withdrawal agreement as a whole was briefly debated and analysed in the press but very quickly overshadowed in both press and parliament by one issue, the NI border, to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. As a result, no Pansyface, I don’t believe the general public are fully cognisant of the content or implications of the deal. The information is there but you have to search for it - the full text is available to download online for the dedicated, but this is a useful summary:

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8453/CBP-8453.pdf

With regard to fishing, I can’t recall all the detail offhand but believe the agreement guaranteed the UK full sovereignty over its waters as an independent coastal state, without any guarantees to third parties to fishing rights. The latter is to be decided in the next phase -  the nitty gritty of our future trade and working relationships with Europe is yet to be negotiated. If we thought this part was hard...