Forum home The potting shed

Brexishambles

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,146
    Marlorena said:

I fully support Theresa May and her deal, I think she's a marvellous person and politician, the like of which I don't think we've seen before,... no Prime Minister previously could have withstood the sheer venom and political posturing by others that she's had to put up with... She compromises... that's essential in politics..

Just checked to see if it was April 1st.
    Devon.
  • DyersEnd said:
    I agree Obelix and I can't see that the Soviet Union operated in any way like the EU does Alan C. 
    There is one obvious similarity, in the way that the economy is micro-managed by the leaders rather than letting people get on with their own business. For example, I heard of a farmer who grew two crops, but the EU insisted that he grew three. God only knows why! There was also a proposal to limit the power of electric kettles to increase their efficiency. That would be nonsensical, as reducing the power actually makes them LESS efficient, as they take longer, so more heat escapes and is wasted. Leave it to people who know what they are doing!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,253
    You are right RG.  Unfortunately, TM is not a woman gifted with imagination so is unable to grasp that there are other ways of going on and other solutions.  Clearly she did not listen to other views or even news reports about her dreadful election campaign and so did not change her tactics.

She was hard line and fixed of mind and purpose in her time at the Home Office and has made some horrendous mistakes there - Windrush is just one example.  She has been no different with Brexit.   Politicians need vision and purpose but also the ability to manoeuvre and be flexible when needed.

Britain is between a rock - TM - and a hard place except it's hard to think of Jeremy C as anything but soft, squishy, unreliable, untrustworthy and devious.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Three and a half million.

Only need another fourteen million and they will have to pay attention.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,537
    I dont think they will pansy, they dont seem to pay attention to anything us, the great unwashed have to say!
    As a democrat , I'm inclined to think we MUST leave: however ( from my very comfy seat on the fence ) I think a reasonable argument can but made that so much more information is known now which wasn't known at the referendum, and , as such a new vote might be justified. 
    Maybe if Mrs Mayhem's ego, vanity and arrogance hadn't come to the fore, she'd have approached the UE on an all party basis from day 1 instead of assuming, as she always has done in her career, that she knows best. 
    She's brought this all on herself. She negotiated the deal, She agreed it with the EU and it's nobody else's fault but her's that it's failed to get through Parliament. Not the nasty MPs , not the nasty folk in Brussels,it's all  her fault.
     I still want to know how big the bill is to the tax payer for this whole fiasco. I bet "negotiators", "lawyers" and "advisors" are laughing all the way to the bank. 
    The whole world is laughing at us because of this shambles and there's still no end in sight.

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Perhaps we, the great unwashed, should march on Westminster and have a mass protest involving the unleashing of armpit odour.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,426
    At the time of the referendum, Cameron and his cronies were totally convinced that they would win and therefore had no reason to put together reasoned arguments.  When it became apparent that things weren't as clear cut as they thought, they simply instigated 'Project Fear' and lied about the damage which would occur immediately after a No vote. 
    Once the No vote happened, and the world didn't end, many people - Remain and Leave supporters - quickly realised that politicians will say anything to get the result they want.  Is it any surprise that nobody believes a word any of the say any more?
    I've never thought that TM's heart is in the job, she's as pro-european as any of them, but she does have an impossible task.  That said, I do think she has done an absolutely terrible job in the way she's handled Brexit.  How many Brexit ministers has she got through?
    The next week or so is likely to be interesting, if not enlightening.
    I have never heard so many mature, educated people tell me " I've never missed an election in my life, but I'm never voting again"
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,986
    edited March 2019
    I fail to see what a referendum has to do with the British style of democracy which has evolved over the years so that our elected representatives debate matters and make decisions for the greater good. 

A referendum just leads to the the oppression of the minority by the majority ... that’s not British democracy. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh