Forum home The potting shed

Brexishambles

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 5,071
    pansyface said:
    Your apophthegm sums it up for you, raisingirl.😁
    It does, doesn't it?  :)

Why does the argument always centre around cost, rather than value? There are bigger issues at stake than cash money. It's true that it is just a trade agreement in fancy clothes, but Europe is a far bigger and more important project than a simple monetary transaction  :/
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,875

I don’t really do politics or religion as both have started conflict and wars 
    i voted to leave based on the debate that we paid more in to the EU and got less back. Simple maths 
    Thats my arguement and still is 

How are you working that out?

We get back far more than we pay in - access to development funding for poorer areas (which we're entitled to even more of thanks to the Tories) - access to the single market worth 30 - 90 billion pounds a year - easy access to skilled workers for industries like the NHS that otherwise would be understaffed - easy access to unskilled workers for agricultural work etc
    We will get workers from other parts of the world who will send or take the money and skills we teach them back home with them and unlike EU workers that money won't go back into the EU pot but will be lost to other economies.

Although the NFU have promised that farming will now thrive without EU subsidies and farm labour jobs will no doubt hit the living wage and all our taxes will be cut as we no longer have to support unsustainable agricultural methods by paying twice for all our food.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • Why is this country unable to produce enough medics, while other members of the EU apparently have a surplus which they export to us?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,875
    Why is this country unable to produce enough medics, while other members of the EU apparently have a surplus which they export to us?
    Because we underpay, overwork and underappreciate our medical staff? At least we pay our footballers and bankers a decent wage though.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,966
    pansyface said:
    Your apophthegm sums it up for you, raisingirl.😁
    It does, doesn't it?  :)

Why does the argument always centre around cost, rather than value? There are bigger issues at stake than cash money. It's true that it is just a trade agreement in fancy clothes, but Europe is a far bigger and more important project than a simple monetary transaction  :/
    And therein lies the problem.  The only vote the UK public has ever been given was whether or not to join the Common Market i.e. a trading area.  We were never given the chance to vote on the subsequent Agreements which have ceded more and more power to unelected politicians in Brussels.  The UK has long been seen as a cash cow to many in Europe.  We have paid in far more than we have got back, and we always seem to apply rules with much more enthusiasm than many other countries.  Germany and France like to see all other countries as less important than themselves, and ignore any rules which might have a negative effect on them.
  •   The only vote the UK public has ever been given was whether or not to join the Common Market i.e. a trading area.  
    In fact we never voted on joining the Common market. We joined in 1972, then in 1975 we had a referendum on remaining in it.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,360
    You'll like Hans-Olaf Henkel then, KT53.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/536185080203824/

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 75,007
    “The only vote we’ve ever been given ...”!!? We’ve voted at elections every five years and sent our elected representatives to debate and decide on such things ... but the Brits have been lackadaisical about the EU elections ... how many of us can name more than one MEP, let alone any representing our area? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 819

No man is an island,
    Entire of itself,
    Every man is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.
    If a clod be washed away by the sea,
    Europe is the less.
    As well as if a promontory were.
    As well as if a manor of thy friend's
    Or of thine own were:
    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind,
    And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; 
    It tolls for thee. 

JOHN DONNE, 1624 (that's nearly 400 years ago!!!)
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 19,360
    edited March 2019
    He wrote a nice one about a flea, too.😁

Just a pipsqueak short of five million now...

Dove, wossanemaypee?😁

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.