Rose cuttings

Hi All,
I took some rose cuttings last year, 3 to a pot, and most of them have taken. i.e. they are  sprouting new shoots now. My questions are; 
1) when would be the best time to split / re-plant them? 
2) What would be the best approach, split and re-pot in bigger pots or split and re-plant in the ground?

Thanks
Phil

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,665
    I wait until there are signs of roots at the bottom of the pot ... usually around 12 months from taking the cutting ... whether to put them in the ground or not depends on whether you have a sheltered ‘nursery bed’ for them. If not I’d put them in pots and grow on in a coldframe. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NikonPhilNikonPhil Posts: 31
    Thanks Dovefromabove. Pots & cold frame it is :) 

Phil
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,410
    edited 22 March
    I have just read this post NikonPhil.  I successfully managed to take 2 rose cuttings last year and spurred on by their success I took a dozen more last Autumn which now have little shoots.  I intend to dig them out of the nursery trench this Autumn.  The 2 cuttings that had rooted last Autumn when I dug them out of the ground (12 months in their nursery bed) - I put one in a pot as it is a patio rose and the other rose which is larger has gone into the flower bed.  Both are growing well.  Good luck with your roses NikonPhil I hope they adapt well to their new homes.
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    At the end of last year I took some cuttings of about six Roses, (I had been listening to Monty Don.)  I had cuttings of "Gentle Hermione." They are looking very good with their feet in some fine grit and vermiculite. 
     But what do I do with them now. I have resisted  looking to see of roots are growing.
    Further help needed please. I am still a rose novice.
    Thanks for any help.  The leaves look good and green, not as pale as the picture.    

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

My picture failed.  here goes  again.

Ah I missed Guernsey Donkey2s post. I should  look at them all.
    What do they "live on" before they get properly rooted.
    Mine are still in the grit  and vermiculite.
     What do I need to  keep them happy?
    I sound like a toothpaste advert for heavens sake.

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,410
    I left my first batch of rose cuttings a whole year before I wiggled them and discovered that some of them had rooted.  I had put the cuttings in a trench in the soil - with plenty of added sand and grit so they had space to make good roots.  The ones that were successful all had a good root ball on them. I feel that your pots are too small for their roots to establish Iamweedy. If your cuttings have roots showing out of the bottom of the pots, then I would very, very gently remove the plants and put into a bigger pot, say 5 or 6 inches across the top. Don't disturb the grit and vermiculite - just add more and perhaps some compost to the bottom of the new pots. Keep them well watered through the following months, the worst that can happen is for them to dry out over the summer.  They should be ready to plant out into their final position in the Autumn.
  • NikonPhilNikonPhil Posts: 31
    Thanks for the advice all. 
    My pots are fairly large and they are sheltered against a west facing wall, so no direct hot sunlight. I'll leave them in the pots and keep an eye on them through the summer months. I've set a reminder in my diary to plant out (if ready) in late September.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,665
    Those pots aren’t big enough for them to develop into plants ready to plant out in the autumn, and they will soon have exhausted any nutrients in it.
    If they have established a good root system they need potting on into bigger pots ... using John Innes No 2 loambased compost with the addition of some multipurpose compost at ratio of JI 3:1 MPC. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh