Beauty in the gutter!

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,626
Saw this little Viola flowering away in the gutter.It is amazing to think it was able to seed,germinate,grow and flower with no disturbance for a long time!
Made my day  :)

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,214
    Beautiful. But the annoying thing is, when you want things to grow they don't and they tend to seed about in areas you don't want them to seed in.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,626
    I suppose the plant just knows where it wants to grow!!
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,238
    That happens to me with poppies. They pop up next door or out in the street. Maybe that's why they're call poppies.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,464
    What a lovely little plant. A similar thing has happened here with forget-me-nots. I park by a small patch of them at the office and somehow they've travelled the 25 miles back home with me and are growing where I park the car here now
    I once saw a tomato grow in the gutter near some offices,probably a seed from a sandwich!
    It was there long enough to produce a small tomato!
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,214
    Now that you say that Madpenguin, I saw tomatoes growing in my local supermarket carpark shrub beds wedged amongst Cotoneasters and Euonymus Fortunei. Sadly they never got to ripen due to the colder autumn months.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,464
    We should make this the official 'plants in odd places thread'. I'd love to see some of the unlikely places things will grow in.
    We should make this the official 'plants in odd places thread'. I'd love to see some of the unlikely places things will grow in.
    Here is a Snapdragon on the site of a demolished hotel.

• B3B3 Posts: 10,238
    Great idea @wild edges 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Hazel-1Hazel-1 Posts: 2,244
    Ditto @wild edges
    North East