1st Garden! New home owner- FREAKING OUT

Hello- 1st time home buyer - huge garden (100x30ft area visible in 2nd pic ) now ours with NO CLUE as to what to do with it!?
Thought about levelling and turfing it with some help from a Landscaper. But really Im a complete novice and have no idea what I'm doing. We have MAXED ourselves out financially trying to buy the house so money is VERY tight but as ever you make things work if you need to so am open to suggestions as to what to do. Also Im a 1st time poster so if Ive stepped on any 1st time posting protocols I sincerely apologize. But any help would be so very gratefully appreciated 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,540
    Welcome on board. 
    That's quite a slope you have there.
    Devon.
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,508
    My first thought would be getting a ski-lift installed!  :D 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,841
    edited 20 March
    Welcome @dancecchini1 ; :)

As @Hostafan1 says, thats some slope ... I would terrace that ... but before rushing into things, how do you want to use your garden ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,831
    I agree, the only way to make that usable is to terrace it.
    Time slide, place to hide, nudge reality
    Foresight, minds wide, magic imagery, oh-ho...
  • Yes I kind of thought terrace may be the best solution to the STEEP slope down from decking. Lots of Youtube videos + dig it out myself and poss get a lanscaper to do sleepers/gabions or something
    My 1st thought was just for an easy life (ha!) and to level and turf the 30x100ft section. But was worried about costs - thinking 2/3K for that experience.... did some basic turfing calculations via websites etc. Not sure - like I said excited and worried in equal measure. Thank you so much for responding.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,838
    Seed is much cheaper than turf for a large area, and we are coming in to a good time to sow it. All grass is not a low maintenance option though as it needs cutting regularly. I agree terracing and some borders to break it up + somewhere to sit, then do some areas of grass if you wish. 
    AB Still learning

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,841
    A steep grassy slope is almost impossible for the amateur to mow safely ... and grassy slopes are very slippery when wet ... if you gong have knee problems you might acquire one ... definitely terracing is the way to go. 

Do you really need grass on any of it? 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think Im ok with mowing ( find it weirdly therputic-in our much smaller last rented house ) not sure if  watering and tending to load of plants would be realistic. Would love to feel like a park with lots of grass for the little ones to play on. How do i go about investigating soil integrity and sussing out how much levelling need to be done to get the bottom section flatish( not the extreme slope) Is that all Landscaper territory or could I reasonably do something like that my self. Even writing that worries me - so Im guessing a call to a landscaper  :o :D
  • Thanks again for the advice :) :)
  • Hazel-1Hazel-1 Posts: 1,926
    My first thought was that you need to sit down, breathe and decide what you want to do with this area. Do you want a lawn, borders for flowers, veg patch, hard landscaping, shrubs, trees, entertaining area, shady area? Where is your sun coming from, and when, morning ,afternoon, try and see where the areas of sun and light feature. ( we are having to do this in our garden as have just recently moved and apart from grass, there’s nothing!) We are waiting at the moment, to see where the sun will hit our back garden in the summer. Have now established where it is at this time of year, and have planted up some Spring flowering plants. We have never had a designer in to do any of our gardens. We learnt from scratch about plants( by choosing some we liked, planted them, if they did well, great, if not, took them out and planted somewhere else) . As we make borders, we enrich the soil with MPC, leave for a while and then plant out. Our gardens just evolve, there is nothing “ planned “ as such, but we try and get to know the garden and the soil etc before we decide on anything. Then we decide where we want some plants for privacy, to add shade, ground loving plants, tall plants! It’s all very exciting but can be overwhelming. Try not to worry, just take one step at a time and do one little area. If the work is too much then someone will need to do any major structural constructions for you, unless you know someone who can help you ( with a beer in return for their labour lol!)

Good luck @dancecchini1
    North East